Jul 18, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
When he wasn’t expressing his dislike for Chris Paul or calling Rajon Rondo the NBA’s best point guard during his interview with Bill Simmons of Grantland, DeMarcus Cousins discussed the league’s fastest player.
Not John Wall.
Not Russell Westbrook.
Ish Smith, Cousins said.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
With Jeremy Lin traded to the Lakers, second-year Isaiah Canaan was the Rockets’ only point guard behind Patrick Beverley. James Harden could handle more minutes on the ball, but Houston still needs point guard depth.
Smith, who has played for six teams in his four NBA seasons, began his career with the Rockets in 2011. He probably had his best season last year, coming off the bench for the Suns. His speed is a weapon, but he can be a bit careless with the ball.
A playoff team would ideally have better options at backup point guard, but after making such a strong push for LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony or Chris Bosh, Houston isn’t positioned to sign higher-caliber reserves. Given their limited resources, the Rockets did alright here.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 6
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 16
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 39
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5