Jul 18, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
When he wasn’t expressing his dislike for Chris Paul or calling Rajon Rondo the NBA’s best point guard during his interview with Bill Simmons of Grantland, DeMarcus Cousins discussed the league’s fastest player.
Not John Wall.
Not Russell Westbrook.
Ish Smith, Cousins said.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
With Jeremy Lin traded to the Lakers, second-year Isaiah Canaan was the Rockets’ only point guard behind Patrick Beverley. James Harden could handle more minutes on the ball, but Houston still needs point guard depth.
Smith, who has played for six teams in his four NBA seasons, began his career with the Rockets in 2011. He probably had his best season last year, coming off the bench for the Suns. His speed is a weapon, but he can be a bit careless with the ball.
A playoff team would ideally have better options at backup point guard, but after making such a strong push for LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony or Chris Bosh, Houston isn’t positioned to sign higher-caliber reserves. Given their limited resources, the Rockets did alright here.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 1
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14