Jul 18, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
When he wasn’t expressing his dislike for Chris Paul or calling Rajon Rondo the NBA’s best point guard during his interview with Bill Simmons of Grantland, DeMarcus Cousins discussed the league’s fastest player.
Not John Wall.
Not Russell Westbrook.
Ish Smith, Cousins said.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
With Jeremy Lin traded to the Lakers, second-year Isaiah Canaan was the Rockets’ only point guard behind Patrick Beverley. James Harden could handle more minutes on the ball, but Houston still needs point guard depth.
Smith, who has played for six teams in his four NBA seasons, began his career with the Rockets in 2011. He probably had his best season last year, coming off the bench for the Suns. His speed is a weapon, but he can be a bit careless with the ball.
A playoff team would ideally have better options at backup point guard, but after making such a strong push for LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony or Chris Bosh, Houston isn’t positioned to sign higher-caliber reserves. Given their limited resources, the Rockets did alright here.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32