Jul 18, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
It’s a no-brainer.
Joe Kotoch of Pro Basketball Draft:
Klay Thompson is more ready? Ready to do what? Help Minnesota win 40 games again?
The Timberwolves finished 10th in the West last season with Love. Regardless of whether they trade the top-10 player for Thompson or Wiggins, they’re taking a step back. Flip Saunders isn’t that good of a coach, and the rest of the roster didn’t change much.
The West is too strong, anyway. Minnesota is better off rebuilding in earnest with Wiggins and letting the conference’s top teams cool off. Even if the Timberwolves were somewhat positioned to win now – they’re not – the intense intra-conference competition should push them in the direction of a longer-term process.
I hope Saunders is just trying to leverage the Warriors’ unwillingness to deal Thompson for Love into squeezing out every last possible asset from Cleveland in a Love-Wiggins trade. Wiggins plus salary filler to make the trade work under CBA rules is enough, but I don’t begrudge Saunders for trying to get more. He has Love, and therefore, he has some leverage.
But if he truly prefers Thompson to Wiggins, Saunders is more unqualified to run the Timberwolves than we ever imagined.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49