Jul 18, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
It’s a no-brainer.
Joe Kotoch of Pro Basketball Draft:
Klay Thompson is more ready? Ready to do what? Help Minnesota win 40 games again?
The Timberwolves finished 10th in the West last season with Love. Regardless of whether they trade the top-10 player for Thompson or Wiggins, they’re taking a step back. Flip Saunders isn’t that good of a coach, and the rest of the roster didn’t change much.
The West is too strong, anyway. Minnesota is better off rebuilding in earnest with Wiggins and letting the conference’s top teams cool off. Even if the Timberwolves were somewhat positioned to win now – they’re not – the intense intra-conference competition should push them in the direction of a longer-term process.
I hope Saunders is just trying to leverage the Warriors’ unwillingness to deal Thompson for Love into squeezing out every last possible asset from Cleveland in a Love-Wiggins trade. Wiggins plus salary filler to make the trade work under CBA rules is enough, but I don’t begrudge Saunders for trying to get more. He has Love, and therefore, he has some leverage.
But if he truly prefers Thompson to Wiggins, Saunders is more unqualified to run the Timberwolves than we ever imagined.
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 1
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 1
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 14
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10