Lance Stephenson: ‘I bring more to the table than blowing in someone’s ear’

Jul 18, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT

Lance Stephenson was introduced as a member of the Charlotte Hornets on Friday, after turning down a five-year, $44 million offer to return to the Pacers.

Stephenson accepted three years and $27 million to play in Charlotte, but at a certain point, it wasn’t about the money. His antics during the Eastern Conference Finals against LeBron James and the Miami Heat included a slap to the face and blowing in LeBron’s ear, which unfortunately were acts that became more representative of Stephenson than his play was over the course of last season.

The bulk of Stephenson’s work unfairly suffered from those two actions, and he reiterated as much during his introductory presser in Charlotte.

From Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer:

Stephenson: “I bring more to the table than blowing in someone’s ear.”

It’s true, obviously, but it’s his own fault he has to continue to point that out.

Both Frank Vogel and Larry Bird condemned Stephenson’s non-basketball antics as they were happening, and conversations were had imploring Stephenson to dial it back and focus on playing the game instead.

That behavior is what cost him a long-term deal in free agency that more accurately reflected his skill set; Stephenson should have easily attracted four-year deals in the $10-$12 million per season range. But given his wild card nature that was on display during the playoffs, he ended up in Charlotte for less dollars over less years, still trying to explain to everyone that he’s a different dude than he’s continued to show.

1. 88heatnation - Jul 18, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Proof is in the pudding

2. campcouch - Jul 18, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Yes,he brings the Face-Mush, the Sleeping Beauty and my favorite,I’ve Been Shot.

3. ProBasketballPundit - Jul 18, 2014 at 11:32 PM

I’m so sad I can’t comment that now I can’t think about anything else. I must keep commenting and having my comments ignored! Lance in my pants!

4. papichulo55 - Jul 18, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Some of us appreciate that Lance was willing to take one for the team, but Lance, you crazy as h3ll! I have seen LBJ up close, and aint no way in h3ll you could take what he almost gave you! You shoulda pimp-slapped your BigMan, that woulda worked…..

5. seattlesuperchronic - Jul 19, 2014 at 12:04 AM

I’m excited for Stephenson’s career. He is entertaining.

6. jadaruler - Jul 19, 2014 at 12:36 AM

I don’t like that he gets the bulk of the blame for the Pacers nosedive. George Hill and Hibbert vanished vs. Miami.

I think Charlotte is a great fight for Lance. Kemba can play off the ball and gives the Hornets another playmaker.

7. deezesoprano - Jul 19, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Cant* lol he’s not good

8. kpow55 - Jul 19, 2014 at 2:23 AM

He’s now a top player on a bad team which probably makes him a future all star as he’ll be given a green light to do whatever the h3ll he wants. Great move for his career as he can jet for big money in 3 years or be a missing championship piece to someone all at age 26.

• dacapt704 - Jul 19, 2014 at 7:26 AM

A bad team? Do you watch basketball or just Sportscenter? (rhetorical question)

• kpow55 - Jul 19, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Oh I’m sorry I forgot they made the playoffs…, in the EAST, how many games did they win again in round 1?

• junkmtb - Jul 19, 2014 at 10:03 AM

A “bad” team that made the playoffs huh???? Shows your basketball IQ which is showing pretty low right about now!

• kpow55 - Jul 19, 2014 at 10:57 AM

I’m sorry I must’ve missed their last few finals appearances

• kavika6 - Jul 20, 2014 at 11:27 PM

A few D-league teams could have made the playoffs in the eastern conference.

9. jerze2387 - Jul 19, 2014 at 9:44 AM

His antics are gonna make him this generations Dennis Rodman (or Metta world peace for you youngn’s)

By the way, am i the only one that saw the picture for the article and remembered Chris Tucker from Rush Hour??

10. brookwell2013 - Jul 19, 2014 at 10:46 AM

A complete pyscho, he’ll crash and burn in Charlotte. There is a reason no one wanted to give him a long term deal

11. miamatt - Jul 19, 2014 at 11:37 AM

He also brings a warm smile when you’re feeling down, a gentle touch when you’re all alone, and a shoulder to cry on in times of trouble.

12. deezesoprano - Jul 19, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I meant that george hill is a bad point guard……really bad lol At least for the pacers and spurs lol The ball is glued to his hands…..then he plays ok D lol Not even patrick beverley D…..cuz we all know patrick beverley can’t dribble either but he makes up for it with great defense. What exactly does george hill do for the pacers besides a regular season 40 point game?

13. Damidwesterner - Jul 19, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Of course he has to say that. Plus, he went in on Drake’s skit regarding the ear blowing during the ESPYs on Wednesday.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches