Jul 18, 2014, 6:48 PM EDT
The Lakers met with LeBron James’ agent, which is as much as any team did save the only place the game’s best player was going to go if he wasn’t staying in Miami. The Lakers missed on that one.
The Lakers got a meeting with Carmelo Anthony, offered a max contact and got him to seriously consider it. But he decided for another major market and an extra $27 million guaranteed. Another miss.
How does Kobe Bryant — a guy who has said he wants to win a title in the next couple years — feel about this? He likes the effort, he told Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.
It’s going to be a rough year for the Lakers. And whoever their coach ends up being.
They won 27 games in a disastrous last season but the other teams at the bottom of the West — Utah, Sacramento, New Orleans — should improve this season and the Lakers have not gotten better on paper. We’ll see how Kobe plays, if he is close to the 2012 self again or not. Even if he is, the Lakers still could be the worst team in the West.
How long will Kobe be happy with a good effort from Lakers management and not results?
It just feels like that is a potential earthquake waiting to hit Los Angeles.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 27
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18