Jul 18, 2014, 6:48 PM EST
The Lakers met with LeBron James’ agent, which is as much as any team did save the only place the game’s best player was going to go if he wasn’t staying in Miami. The Lakers missed on that one.
The Lakers got a meeting with Carmelo Anthony, offered a max contact and got him to seriously consider it. But he decided for another major market and an extra $27 million guaranteed. Another miss.
How does Kobe Bryant — a guy who has said he wants to win a title in the next couple years — feel about this? He likes the effort, he told Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.
It’s going to be a rough year for the Lakers. And whoever their coach ends up being.
They won 27 games in a disastrous last season but the other teams at the bottom of the West — Utah, Sacramento, New Orleans — should improve this season and the Lakers have not gotten better on paper. We’ll see how Kobe plays, if he is close to the 2012 self again or not. Even if he is, the Lakers still could be the worst team in the West.
How long will Kobe be happy with a good effort from Lakers management and not results?
It just feels like that is a potential earthquake waiting to hit Los Angeles.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 2
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11