Jul 18, 2014, 6:48 PM EST
The Lakers met with LeBron James’ agent, which is as much as any team did save the only place the game’s best player was going to go if he wasn’t staying in Miami. The Lakers missed on that one.
The Lakers got a meeting with Carmelo Anthony, offered a max contact and got him to seriously consider it. But he decided for another major market and an extra $27 million guaranteed. Another miss.
How does Kobe Bryant — a guy who has said he wants to win a title in the next couple years — feel about this? He likes the effort, he told Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.
It’s going to be a rough year for the Lakers. And whoever their coach ends up being.
They won 27 games in a disastrous last season but the other teams at the bottom of the West — Utah, Sacramento, New Orleans — should improve this season and the Lakers have not gotten better on paper. We’ll see how Kobe plays, if he is close to the 2012 self again or not. Even if he is, the Lakers still could be the worst team in the West.
How long will Kobe be happy with a good effort from Lakers management and not results?
It just feels like that is a potential earthquake waiting to hit Los Angeles.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 15
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 10
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8