Jul 18, 2014, 6:48 PM EDT
The Lakers met with LeBron James’ agent, which is as much as any team did save the only place the game’s best player was going to go if he wasn’t staying in Miami. The Lakers missed on that one.
The Lakers got a meeting with Carmelo Anthony, offered a max contact and got him to seriously consider it. But he decided for another major market and an extra $27 million guaranteed. Another miss.
How does Kobe Bryant — a guy who has said he wants to win a title in the next couple years — feel about this? He likes the effort, he told Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.
It’s going to be a rough year for the Lakers. And whoever their coach ends up being.
They won 27 games in a disastrous last season but the other teams at the bottom of the West — Utah, Sacramento, New Orleans — should improve this season and the Lakers have not gotten better on paper. We’ll see how Kobe plays, if he is close to the 2012 self again or not. Even if he is, the Lakers still could be the worst team in the West.
How long will Kobe be happy with a good effort from Lakers management and not results?
It just feels like that is a potential earthquake waiting to hit Los Angeles.
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 0
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 6
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10