Jul 18, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Before the 2010-11 season, Jason Terry had the Larry O’Brien Trophy, given to the NBA champion, tattooed on his bicep.
He’s spent a majority of his 15-year career in Dallas. He declared his intention to retire with the Mavericks, and he hopes they’ll someday retire his jersey. He even accused the Spurs of intentionally shutting off the air conditioning on LeBron James and the Heat in the NBA Finals, a dig at rival San Antonio any paranoid Dallas fan would appreciate
Terry on ESPN Radio-Dallas, as transcribed by Jason Jones of The Sacramento Bee:
“I won’t rule out returning back to Dallas,” Terry said. “It’s my home and my heart. I bleed blue. I’m a Maverick.”
Well, noooo…. Terry is a King.
For now anyway.
Terry is trying really hard to angle his way out of Sacramento, and this comment jams the wedge in deeper. He never joined the Kings when traded to Sacramento mid-season, and he gave incredibly
accurate blunt assessments of DeMarcus Cousins and Rudy Gay.
The Kings would probably be amenable to waiving Terry – as long he gives up a portion of the $5,850,313 he’s guaranteed next season. First, they might try to use his expiring contract to facilitate a trade, maybe for Josh Smith. If Terry is waived, his buyout is stuck on the books and unmovable.
If Terry is traded due only to his salary – like he was from Brooklyn to Sacramento – he can start transparently lobbying his way out of his next destination. For now, he’s focused on convincing the Kings to rid themselves of him and doing a pretty solid job.
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 14
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 55
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 9
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 30
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 73