Jul 18, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Before the 2010-11 season, Jason Terry had the Larry O’Brien Trophy, given to the NBA champion, tattooed on his bicep.
He’s spent a majority of his 15-year career in Dallas. He declared his intention to retire with the Mavericks, and he hopes they’ll someday retire his jersey. He even accused the Spurs of intentionally shutting off the air conditioning on LeBron James and the Heat in the NBA Finals, a dig at rival San Antonio any paranoid Dallas fan would appreciate
Terry on ESPN Radio-Dallas, as transcribed by Jason Jones of The Sacramento Bee:
“I won’t rule out returning back to Dallas,” Terry said. “It’s my home and my heart. I bleed blue. I’m a Maverick.”
Well, noooo…. Terry is a King.
For now anyway.
Terry is trying really hard to angle his way out of Sacramento, and this comment jams the wedge in deeper. He never joined the Kings when traded to Sacramento mid-season, and he gave incredibly
accurate blunt assessments of DeMarcus Cousins and Rudy Gay.
The Kings would probably be amenable to waiving Terry – as long he gives up a portion of the $5,850,313 he’s guaranteed next season. First, they might try to use his expiring contract to facilitate a trade, maybe for Josh Smith. If Terry is waived, his buyout is stuck on the books and unmovable.
If Terry is traded due only to his salary – like he was from Brooklyn to Sacramento – he can start transparently lobbying his way out of his next destination. For now, he’s focused on convincing the Kings to rid themselves of him and doing a pretty solid job.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31