Jul 17, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Flip Saunders, when he was coaching the Wizards, hired his son Ryan Saunders to his coaching staff.
When Randy Wittman replaced Flip, Ryan remained on Washington’s payroll – until Flip became the Timberwolves’ coach and hired his son in Minnesota.
That left the Wizards with a vacancy.
Wizards Coach Randy Wittman hired David Adkins as a player development assistant, filling a vacancy on the coaching staff left when Ryan Saunders departed for Minnesota.
Adkins previously served as an assistant for the Maryland women’s basketball team – an unusual precursor to an NBA job. In itself, that makes his hire slightly interesting.
But Adkins’ job before that adds a whole other layer to the promotion.
Adkins was an assistant at Montrose Christian when Kevin Durant attended the high school. Adkins has also worked at DeMatha Catholic, a private school in nearby Prince George’s County, where Durant grew up. Not only does Adkins know Durant, he surely has ties to others close to the Thunder star.
Yup, Durant returning to his hometown Wizards is totally happening now!
But if he gives Washington a closer look when he becomes a free agent in 2016, Adkins might have helped open the door.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 11
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 37
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 49
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 17
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11