Jul 17, 2014, 8:01 PM EST
Things may be getting closer to the Cavaliers becoming even more of a contender in the East than they already are, after making the free agent coup of the summer by signing LeBron James.
Kevin Love is not a free agent, but Minnesota is fielding offers for him because he has informed the team that he will not re-sign there when his contract is up after the 2015 season.
The catch, obviously, is that Love would have to agree to re-up anywhere he is traded in order for another team to give up any real assets in exchange for his services. And LeBron is apparently doing his part to try to convince Love that a pairing in Cleveland would be the right long-term decision.
LeBron James has reached to tell Kevin Love of his desire for them to play together with the Cavaliers, front office sources tell Yahoo.
Cleveland has reportedly caved on Minnesota’s demand to include the number one overall pick in this summer’s draft, Andrew Wiggins, in any deal that would send Love to the Cavaliers. It’s a wise decision, because with James in his prime, you want to try to win one or more championships immediately, not wait for a potentially top talent to develop into an All-Star two or three years down the road.
What we’ve been hearing around the league is that LeBron and his agent have a lot more pull with the front office in Cleveland than they had in Miami, and that’s especially true now with a first-year head coach (David Blatt) and first-year GM (David Griffin) currently in place.
James jumping in to help recruit is likely more appreciated there than it would have been with the Heat, and it might be the final step in getting Love to essentially give the OK to the two teams to pull the trigger on a deal that would make the Cavaliers the undisputed favorites to win the East next season.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 23
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 38
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28