Jul 17, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Things may be getting closer to the Cavaliers becoming even more of a contender in the East than they already are, after making the free agent coup of the summer by signing LeBron James.
Kevin Love is not a free agent, but Minnesota is fielding offers for him because he has informed the team that he will not re-sign there when his contract is up after the 2015 season.
The catch, obviously, is that Love would have to agree to re-up anywhere he is traded in order for another team to give up any real assets in exchange for his services. And LeBron is apparently doing his part to try to convince Love that a pairing in Cleveland would be the right long-term decision.
LeBron James has reached to tell Kevin Love of his desire for them to play together with the Cavaliers, front office sources tell Yahoo.
Cleveland has reportedly caved on Minnesota’s demand to include the number one overall pick in this summer’s draft, Andrew Wiggins, in any deal that would send Love to the Cavaliers. It’s a wise decision, because with James in his prime, you want to try to win one or more championships immediately, not wait for a potentially top talent to develop into an All-Star two or three years down the road.
What we’ve been hearing around the league is that LeBron and his agent have a lot more pull with the front office in Cleveland than they had in Miami, and that’s especially true now with a first-year head coach (David Blatt) and first-year GM (David Griffin) currently in place.
James jumping in to help recruit is likely more appreciated there than it would have been with the Heat, and it might be the final step in getting Love to essentially give the OK to the two teams to pull the trigger on a deal that would make the Cavaliers the undisputed favorites to win the East next season.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 28
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 43
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4