Report: Kings, Pistons resume Josh Smith trade talks

Jul 17, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT

Josh Smith, Isaiah Thomas, Ben McLemore Josh Smith, Isaiah Thomas, Ben McLemore

Just before the draft, the Pistons and Kings discussed a trade that would send Josh Smith to  Sacramento.

Since, the Kings have drafted Nik Stauskas and signed Darren Collison, and the Pistons have yet to reach a deal with Greg Monroe.

Neither Sacramento tinkering with its guard rotation nor Detroit’s failure so far to retain a promising big man whose camp reportedly has a problem with Smith discourages a Smith-Kings trade.

So talks are back on.

Marc Stein of ESPN:

The Detroit Pistons and the Sacramento Kings have resumed trade discussions on a deal that could send Josh Smith to Sacramento, according to sources with knowledge of the talks.

Sources told ESPN.com the Kings have continued to express interest in Smith and the parties are on the hunt for a third team that could help facilitate the deal.

Initial talks called for Sacramento to send Jason Thompson and either Derrick Williams or Jason Terry to the Pistons for Smith, but those discussions reached an impasse and were pushed into July along with the rest of both teams’ free-agent business, sources said.

I’m always leery of failed trade talks that involve a search for a third team. If anyone wanted Thompson or Terry, Sacramento would have traded those two by now. It’s extremely unlikely the Kings can dump their trash on another team when it can’t convince the Pistons to accept it.

I’m also reluctant to actually believe another team wants Smith, who has three years and $40.5 million remaining on his contract. He’d likely start for Sacramento, and he’d definitely upgrade the talent there. But that’s a lot of money to pay someone who will remove flexibility in coming seasons and might not even improve the team immediately. For all Smith’s talent, he might do more harm by jacking bad shots and limiting Rudy Gay’s minutes as a small-ball four, a place the former Raptors and Grizzlies player has proven effective with the Kings.

If the Pistons extract Williams, the No. 2 pick just three years ago who has yet to find any traction in the NBA, that’s phenomenal return for Smith. If they must settle for Thompson and Terry, that’s just the cost of doing business after signing Smith to that awful contract. Terry’s contract expires after this season, but Thompson’s has three years remaining and a trade kicker, though the final year is just partially guaranteed.

Detroit wants flexibility, and Sacramento wants talent. Until those conditions change, a Smith trade will continue to make at least some sense for both sides.

1. patfic5 - Jul 17, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Does Sacramento have any direction? I thought this team was due a Washington-type rebuild, but they just can’t get the right pieces.

• campcouch - Jul 17, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Those bad picks and signings by the old regime really set them back. They have some nice pieces but I don’t know if they want to build the team around Cousins or just add talented players that don’t fit. Letting Fredette go and keeping Thomas and then letting him go has made zero sense. A talented big man like Cousins who does everything well could do wonders for shooters and slashers and vice versa. Hopefully they give Stauskas legit time to show what he can do and not give up on him after a year.

2. bparmalee - Jul 17, 2014 at 9:20 AM

So let me get this straight you want to take Josh Smith (a guy with immense talent that can’t get out of his own way and loves loves loves to jack up 3’s) and team him with DeMarcus Cousins (a guy with immense talent that can’t control himself and loves loves loves to jack up 19 footers)? I AM IN!! You know…as far as train wreck scenarios go…. this one is fantastic.
    PS: Please add Stephen Jackson

3. campcouch - Jul 17, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Remember when there was a minor debate over Irving or Williams being taken first in the 2011 draft? Now Derrick Williams could possibly be traded to his third team in three years. The number 2 pick shopped around like socks. Does he have potential or is he a bust?

• bparmalee - Jul 17, 2014 at 9:30 AM

He is an absolute bust He doesn’t even look decent in Summer League. He has athleticism (which he can’t control) but that’s about it.

• campcouch - Jul 17, 2014 at 9:34 AM

I didn’t know. The one time I saw him play, he had a pretty good game so I thought maybe he just didn’t fit in Minnesota with Love.

• kavika6 - Jul 18, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Can anyone play with Love?

4. rrhoe - Jul 17, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I don’t normally side with management but I hope that SAC doesn’t cave in to Jason Terry’s request to be traded,waived,or bought out. When Terry got traded he never went to SAC,he went to Dallas instead to”rehab his knee”,never suited up,never played a game–but I bet he cashed their checks. He decided it was best to sit out the duration of this past season–HE decided–all they got from him were a few phone calls. For a team like SAC trades are one way for them to get players aside from drafting them as they aren’t attractive to FA’s and to let Terry force his way out sets a bad precedent.

• patfic5 - Jul 17, 2014 at 11:05 AM

I don’t think they had any plan for him anyway.

5. doctorofsmuganomics - Jul 17, 2014 at 10:33 AM

get it done Pistons

6. kindasporty - Jul 17, 2014 at 12:36 PM

I don’t think that Josh Smith is a horrible player. I think it’s pretty obvious to everyone that he needs to play inside more and not jack up bad shots. The problem with him in Detroit is that there’s nowhere for him to go inside with Drummond and Monroe. I don’t know if he’s worth the money he’s being paid, but he could flourish in the right situation with the right coach. With that being said, I don’t think Sacremento is it. But hey, I’m a Pistons fan, so if they feel they can make it work, then who am I to argue?

7. rajbais - Jul 17, 2014 at 1:49 PM

They’ve been listening to me??

I actually suggested this on the PBT post that talked about the PF overload in Sacramento. I never mentioned who’d they should trade for, but my suggestion would be Thompson and Landry. But if they can get Thompson and Derrick Williams, that is way better.

Regardless, any roster by any means is better when Josh Smith is off it.

8. joerymi - Jul 17, 2014 at 10:20 PM

The right coach and system, and Smith would be a really nice piece. But it killed the Pistons to lose their first round pick and they have to start doing something before they squander Drummond’s potential.

They aren’t going to get enough value with a Monroe sign-and-trade, so it may be best to just cut ties with Smith and hope for a really nice pick next year.

9. kavika6 - Jul 18, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Smith, Cousins and Terry. That’s one heck of a volatile locker room.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches