Jul 17, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
But not everyone gets along with Rondo – and the list is apparently longer than just Ray Allen, whose feud with the Celtics point guard changed the Eastern Conference for years.
Replying to Jeff Clark of CelticsBlog, Jeff Goodman of ESPN reveals some illuminating information about how Rondo is viewed across the NBA.
Rondo can be prickly and hard-headed, which he admits. He once said of opponents, “We’re not trying to be friends with anybody.” I can definitely understand why the initial opinion of playing with him is unfavorable.
But if any free agents give it a second thought, the sentiment is ridiculous.
Rondo is a warrior on the court, fighting for every edge. So what he doesn’t like his opponents? If you sign with the Celtics, you’re his teammate now. He’s absolutely someone you want on your side.
His pass-first style gives those around him easier scoring looks, and his defensive effectiveness also puts his teammates in position to excel on that end of the court. Rondo’s game is extremely unselfish, which should turn on free agents.
Reading between the lines, maybe this is why Danny Ainge is so dogged in his pursuit of Kevin Love. When Love visited Boston – a transparent signal he’s interested in the Celtics – he spoke briefly with Rondo. Perhaps Love is an exception who wants to play with Rondo. That would help explain the theory Ainge wants Love and Rondo or neither.
If Boston can’t get Love, Rondo might be an impediment to other second stars.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 16
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32