Jul 17, 2014, 10:06 PM EDT
The Cavaliers went out and got veteran sharpshooters in Mike Miller and James Jones to shore up the roster following the signing of LeBron James, and Miller is trying to bring a third former Heat teammate to join LeBron in Cleveland.
That’s good news for Cleveland’s chances, then, and Miller believes that adding Allen would be one more step in surrounding LeBron with enough talent to contend for a title as soon as this season.
Mike Miller told ESPN Radio on Thursday that he’s trying to recruit Ray Allen to sign with the Cavaliers, pointing to the veteran as the kind of player that will help LeBron James and his new team in key spots in the playoffs.
Miller, who agreed to join his good friend James and sign with the Cavs earlier this week, responded “of course,” when asked on “The Herd” if he was pitching the Cavs to Allen.
“We got James Jones, now we’re moving Miami to northeast Ohio,” Miller said, referring to Cleveland’s addition of the former Miami Heat forward on Wednesday. …
“With LeBron James, you are going to win 55 to 60 games regardless. Now it’s about what you do in the playoffs. For us, even with the young talent that they have there, you’ve gotta bring guys that have been there before, even if they are not giving you heavy minutes,” Miller said.
Miller is likely to be the one getting the most minutes out of that crew of former LeBron teammates, even if he were to be able to help convince Allen to join the squad. But there is something to be said about adding some veteran, championship-experienced talent to a team filled with younger players, and Allen could certainly fit in nicely as another piece of that puzzle.
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 3
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 10
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 15
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 22
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43