Jul 17, 2014, 10:06 PM EDT
The Cavaliers went out and got veteran sharpshooters in Mike Miller and James Jones to shore up the roster following the signing of LeBron James, and Miller is trying to bring a third former Heat teammate to join LeBron in Cleveland.
That’s good news for Cleveland’s chances, then, and Miller believes that adding Allen would be one more step in surrounding LeBron with enough talent to contend for a title as soon as this season.
Mike Miller told ESPN Radio on Thursday that he’s trying to recruit Ray Allen to sign with the Cavaliers, pointing to the veteran as the kind of player that will help LeBron James and his new team in key spots in the playoffs.
Miller, who agreed to join his good friend James and sign with the Cavs earlier this week, responded “of course,” when asked on “The Herd” if he was pitching the Cavs to Allen.
“We got James Jones, now we’re moving Miami to northeast Ohio,” Miller said, referring to Cleveland’s addition of the former Miami Heat forward on Wednesday. …
“With LeBron James, you are going to win 55 to 60 games regardless. Now it’s about what you do in the playoffs. For us, even with the young talent that they have there, you’ve gotta bring guys that have been there before, even if they are not giving you heavy minutes,” Miller said.
Miller is likely to be the one getting the most minutes out of that crew of former LeBron teammates, even if he were to be able to help convince Allen to join the squad. But there is something to be said about adding some veteran, championship-experienced talent to a team filled with younger players, and Allen could certainly fit in nicely as another piece of that puzzle.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 7
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48