Jul 17, 2014, 4:34 PM EST
J.R. Smith is about the least triangle offense player in the league.
The Knicks are building their offense to run the triangle (or at least a modified version of it) and Smith isn’t really about keeping the ball moving — he’s an unrepentant gunner. A volume shooter. A good one, a guy that takes bad shots and makes a lot of them (sometimes), but he’s not exactly a triangle guy.
Add to the fact the Knicks are loaded at the two guard (Smith, Iman Shumpert, Tim Hardaway Jr., Wayne Ellington, and you can play Shane Larkin there if you want) and the buzz is the Knicks will move one of those guys before the start of next season.
Smith said on ESPN2’s First Take he wouldn’t have been shocked if the Knicks traded him the way he played last season, and he knows some moves are still coming in New York (as transcribed by ESPNNewYork.com).
…he “wouldn’t blame” team president Phil Jackson and the Knicks if the team had decided to trade him last season.
“No. Absolutely not. The way I was playing, I was playing like a person who didn’t want to be there,” Smith said. “Not looking as focused as a person should be in that situation that we were, in the trenches. I wouldn’t blame them at all…..”
Smith said on Wednesday that he’s “cognizant” one of the shooting guards on the roster could be traded before the start of the season.
“Yeah, because that’s just the way the numbers work, honestly,” he said. “When you have so many people at that same position and you’re trying to juggle between ‘Well, he’s got to play 20 minutes, he’s got to play 30 minutes, he’s got to play 25 minutes,’ it’s tough to do.”
Smith is owed just under $6 million this season and has a player option for $6.4 million next season.
Shumpert and Hardaway — younger players with more palatable contracts — have had their names come up in recent trade rumors. But expect the Knicks to check again and see what the market for Smith might be. He may not really fit with the future direction of the team.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 8
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11