DeMarcus Cousins on Chris Paul: ‘I dislike CP a lot’

Jul 17, 2014, 5:59 PM EST

DeMarcus Cousins hasn’t gotten along with Chris Paul. That’s been clear for a while now.

If you want an update, their feud hasn’t been resolved.

Cousins, speaking with Bill Simmons of Grantland, was talking about Blake Griffin when the Kings center turned the discussion to Paul.

• Simmons: “I thought you guys had a little beef, right?”
  • Cousins: “Nah.”
  • Simmons: “Nothing?”
  • Cousins: “Just a little rivalry, but I don’t have a problem with Blake.”
  • Simmons: “Didn’t you guys almost get in a fight once?”
  • Cousins: “No.”
  • Simmons: “Altercation? Argument?”
  • Cousins: “No.”
  • Simmons: “Nothing?”
  • Cousins: “No.”
  • Simmons: “You sure? I feel like I was at a game where that might have happened.”
  • Cousins: “No.”
  • Simmons: “There was some talking?”
  • Cousins: “Probably me and CP, but not me and Blake. I don’t have a problem with Blake.”
  • Simmons: “Oh, you’re one of the guys who doesn’t like – there’s a lot of guys who CP kind of bugs.”
  • Cousins: “Yeah, I dislike CP a lot.”
  • Simmons: “CP does a lot of talking.”
  • Cousins: “I know.”
  • Simmons: What if you saw him off the court? You’d be OK with him, right?”
  • Cousins: “I don’t have a problem.”
  • Simmons: “The good news is you’re like 12 inches taller than him if you ever have – he’s like 5-10.”
  • Cousins: “I know. That’s usually how it goes. It’s the small ones.””
  • Simmons: “Could you play with somebody like that, who’s just like a Chihuahua, just barking at everybody for three hours?”
  • Cousins: “Yeah, because I’m the same way.”

I love that Cousins essentially admits that he dislikes Paul because they play for different teams. That’s really the root of the whole issue. Put them on the same team, and they’d be best buds. Now, though, there’s nothing to link them.

Later, the conversation turns to another polarizing player, Rajon Rondo.

• Simmons: So you think Rondo is the best point guard in the league?
  • Cousins: Absolutely.
  • Simmons: How much of that has to do with the fact that you and Chris Paul don’t like each other that much.
  • Cousins: Nothing at all.

I don’t believe Cousins, and if he’s telling the truth, he’s wrong.

I’d definitely take Paul, Stephen Curry and Russell Westbrook over Rondo. With Derrick Rose – and Rondo himself – health determines the debate. Rondo is on the same tier as Tony Parker, and younger point guards like Damian Lillard, Kyrie Irving and John Wall could reach that level soon if they’re not there already.

But I do find Cousins’ fondness for Rondo particularly interesting in light of the latest rumors – free agents not wanting to play with Rondo and the Kings discussing a trade for Josh Smith.

Rondo – whom Sacramento previously tried to trade for – and Smith are close friends. Maybe the two of them could give Cousins the support he needs to actually challenge Paul and the Clippers.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets

Dec 20, 2014, 7:11 PM EST

New Jersey Nets practice 05/07/2014 AP

Kings are looking to make a splash, and Williams has been made available in trade by the Nets.

2. Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic

Dec 20, 2014, 6:30 PM EST

Phoenix Suns Media Day Phoenix Suns Media Day

Dragic will opt out of the final year of his deal to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

3. Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’

Dec 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EST

Memphis Grizzlies v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Lin understands why Bryant always gets the ball in these situations, but admits he’d like to get some opportunities.

4. Serge Ibaka blocks Carlos Boozer at the rim, does Mutombo finger wag (VIDEO)

Dec 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EST

Serge Ibaka, Carlos Boozer AP

As the Thunder ended up winning by one, 104-103, this block ended up being very important.

5. Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO)

Dec 20, 2014, 2:07 AM EST

Damian Lillard AP

Lillard needs to get mentioned with the game’s top point guards.

6. Former No. 2 overall pick Darko Milicic loses first kickboxing fight (VIDEO)

Dec 20, 2014, 12:02 AM EST

Former NBA player now trying to make his way as a fighter.

7. Danny Ainge says uncertainty about Celtics’ ability to re-sign Rajon Rondo prompted trade to Dallas

Dec 19, 2014, 10:50 PM EST

Danny Ainge AP

There are a whole host of reasons Rondo was traded; this is just the most convenient for Boston’s brass.

8. Spurs’ Kawhi Leonard has torn ligament in right hand, return unclear

Dec 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EST

Kawhi Leonard AP

Leonard was the Finals MVP for San Antonio last season.

9. Kevin Durant to sit out vs. Lakers with ankle sprain

Dec 19, 2014, 6:35 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

This is the smart move by the Thunder.

10. Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston

Dec 19, 2014, 5:59 PM EST

Orlando Magic v Boston Celtics, Game 6 Getty Images

It’s kind of moot now, but it’s not a surprise.

11. Kobe Bryant says he’s not recruiting Kevin Durant to Lakers. Yet?

Dec 19, 2014, 5:15 PM EST

Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant AP

Lakers star: ‘If the opportunity came up, then that’s the time to have that discussion’

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches