DeMarcus Cousins on Chris Paul: ‘I dislike CP a lot’

Jul 17, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT

DeMarcus Cousins hasn’t gotten along with Chris Paul. That’s been clear for a while now.

If you want an update, their feud hasn’t been resolved.

Cousins, speaking with Bill Simmons of Grantland, was talking about Blake Griffin when the Kings center turned the discussion to Paul.

• Simmons: “I thought you guys had a little beef, right?”
  • Cousins: “Nah.”
  • Simmons: “Nothing?”
  • Cousins: “Just a little rivalry, but I don’t have a problem with Blake.”
  • Simmons: “Didn’t you guys almost get in a fight once?”
  • Cousins: “No.”
  • Simmons: “Altercation? Argument?”
  • Cousins: “No.”
  • Simmons: “Nothing?”
  • Cousins: “No.”
  • Simmons: “You sure? I feel like I was at a game where that might have happened.”
  • Cousins: “No.”
  • Simmons: “There was some talking?”
  • Cousins: “Probably me and CP, but not me and Blake. I don’t have a problem with Blake.”
  • Simmons: “Oh, you’re one of the guys who doesn’t like – there’s a lot of guys who CP kind of bugs.”
  • Cousins: “Yeah, I dislike CP a lot.”
  • Simmons: “CP does a lot of talking.”
  • Cousins: “I know.”
  • Simmons: What if you saw him off the court? You’d be OK with him, right?”
  • Cousins: “I don’t have a problem.”
  • Simmons: “The good news is you’re like 12 inches taller than him if you ever have – he’s like 5-10.”
  • Cousins: “I know. That’s usually how it goes. It’s the small ones.””
  • Simmons: “Could you play with somebody like that, who’s just like a Chihuahua, just barking at everybody for three hours?”
  • Cousins: “Yeah, because I’m the same way.”

I love that Cousins essentially admits that he dislikes Paul because they play for different teams. That’s really the root of the whole issue. Put them on the same team, and they’d be best buds. Now, though, there’s nothing to link them.

Later, the conversation turns to another polarizing player, Rajon Rondo.

• Simmons: So you think Rondo is the best point guard in the league?
  • Cousins: Absolutely.
  • Simmons: How much of that has to do with the fact that you and Chris Paul don’t like each other that much.
  • Cousins: Nothing at all.

I don’t believe Cousins, and if he’s telling the truth, he’s wrong.

I’d definitely take Paul, Stephen Curry and Russell Westbrook over Rondo. With Derrick Rose – and Rondo himself – health determines the debate. Rondo is on the same tier as Tony Parker, and younger point guards like Damian Lillard, Kyrie Irving and John Wall could reach that level soon if they’re not there already.

But I do find Cousins’ fondness for Rondo particularly interesting in light of the latest rumors – free agents not wanting to play with Rondo and the Kings discussing a trade for Josh Smith.

Rondo – whom Sacramento previously tried to trade for – and Smith are close friends. Maybe the two of them could give Cousins the support he needs to actually challenge Paul and the Clippers.

1. Mr. Wright 212 - Jul 17, 2014 at 6:04 PM

I feel the same way about CP0. You aren’t alone, Boogie.

2. duhwighthoward - Jul 17, 2014 at 6:06 PM

DuhMarcus Cousins

3. kingperk123 - Jul 17, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Myabe Celtics should trade for cousins in stead of love Celtics would at least have someone. That is GRATE at rebounding. Lets go Celtics

• bigmeechy74 - Jul 17, 2014 at 6:56 PM

you must be a troll… grate? come on man

• skins26portis - Jul 18, 2014 at 1:29 AM

Fool we are not going to give you the 2nd best center in the NBA. You must be on crack.

4. skoivu10 - Jul 17, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Are my Kings ever going to do well? I mean I’m 20, I’ve been following them since 2000. I feel like I’ll never see a championship in my life, even if i do live another 50 or 60 years.

• antistratfordian - Jul 17, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Oh you’ve suffered for so long. Almost 15 years! Poor thing.

• savvybynature - Jul 17, 2014 at 6:28 PM

^^Says the biggest frontrunner on this site who pretends to be a fan of whatever team has the best player in the league on it

• antistratfordian - Jul 17, 2014 at 6:33 PM

No, Cavs fans are the biggest frontrunners on this site. Oh, he’s back? #23 jerseys materialize out of nowhere. “We’ve always loved him.”

LeBron wasn’t always the best player in the league, home slice. In fact, not too long ago, you would’ve laughed at me for calling LeBron the best player in the league. So don’t give me that BS.

My guy just turned out to be the greatest player of all time. I’m ecstatic about that, but it was a long, up and down journey.

And besides, I’m a lifelong Miami Dolphins fan – so despite what you think, my life isn’t all glamour, hot women, success and happiness. Only 80% of the time.

• mazblast - Jul 17, 2014 at 6:32 PM

I’ve had a soft spot for this franchise since they were the Cincinnati Royals, playing a long walk from my home. That’s a lot more oh-for than you’ve experienced.

• kavika6 - Jul 17, 2014 at 11:53 PM

As long as you have punks like Cousins on your team to scare away any potential free agents your team will continue to lose.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 18, 2014 at 12:46 AM

The Kings were pretty good for the first 5 or 6 years you claim to have followed them. They had a couple 60 win seasons a few trips to the Western Conference Finals. They had Mitch Richmond, who was recently elected to the HOF, for a while.

5. antistratfordian - Jul 17, 2014 at 6:13 PM

I don’t like CP either. Plus, it’s illegal.

6. captainwisdom8888 - Jul 17, 2014 at 6:15 PM

I think Demarcus is clearly mixing up the PG who he may “like the best” and who actually “plays the best.” You see this a lot with pro athletes mainly because they actually get to interact with these other pros on a deeper level than fans. If a guy like Demarcus genuinely dislikes a certain player who is widely recognized as the very best at his position, than of course he isn’t going to bring himself to call that disliked player “the best.” Fans see the numbers, statistical production, and team victories as the guiding factors in evaluating who is the best at any given position, while pro athletes themselves often make their opinions based more upon human interactions while on the court/field.

7. mazblast - Jul 17, 2014 at 6:33 PM

I’m no CP fan either, but he is a quality player. Cousins needs to shut up and spend more time on his game.

• tubal22 - Jul 17, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Lets see… Last year:

DMC: 26.1 PER, 23 PPG, 12 RPG. 3 APG
      CP3: 25.9 PER, 19 PPG, 11 APG, 4 RPG

I’d say they’re both quality players, and in 1-2 years, DMC will be a better player.

8. absentstars - Jul 17, 2014 at 6:37 PM

I think you got your tiers of pgs mixed up. Rondo and parker are the ones w rings. Chris paul just throws himself on the floor to miss games.

• bigmeechy74 - Jul 17, 2014 at 6:59 PM

ah the ol’ “rings” argument. Love it. I’m sure if rondo and parker played for the hornets and clippers their whole career they definitely would’ve been just as successful. And if CP3 played for the spurs I doubt he would have any rings. great point man. Do you think BJ Armstrong is better than charles barkley also?

• absentstars - Jul 17, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Ah the ol “what if” argument. And when did barkley play point? Whats your point? Winners play to win.

• kavika6 - Jul 17, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Parker’s better than Paul and Rondo. And it’s more than just his FOUR rings. It’s about leadership, unselfishness and lack of arrogance.

9. thomaskouns - Jul 17, 2014 at 6:41 PM

When are people going to stop thinking a guy whose never made the playoffs, had a winning season, plays ‘bad’ (Google Cousins Grantland Scouting Report) – cool.

He’s all talk & no action. All talent and no results.

Yeah, he’s soooo cool.

• kavika6 - Jul 18, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Right on.

10. geejon - Jul 17, 2014 at 7:03 PM

What is this writer smoking putting all those guys above Tony Parker??? Stephen Curry? Very good young player but please … too one dimensional to put with Parker never mind above him. I’ve seen Curry go crazy where it looked like he’d never miss a jumper again but too many times I’ve seen good teams take away his jumper and make him completely invisible. I’m no Spurs fan but they’re right in that people are always underappreciating their players.

• tubal22 - Jul 17, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Steph Curry averaged 24/9 last year. Parker averaged 17/6.

Parker is getting old, and it’s safe to put him in that same tier. I’d even pick Curry over Parker if I was starting a team.

• urodaddy07 - Jul 17, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Not a good comparison. Age is not the reason the stats are so different, its the system.. One is a losing star-oriented/obsessed system (GSW) and one is a winning ball/man-movement oriented system (SAS). As long as DSW keeps relying on Steph Curry to shoot the ball so much and from distance they will not win a title. He will have great stat lines and make lots of headlines and ESPN highlights, but no title.Stats do lie.

• kavika6 - Jul 18, 2014 at 12:05 AM

I agree, urodaddy07. Parker’s numbers won’t be as high as some of the ballhogs out there because of his unselfishness and the Spurs’ incredible ball movement. With Curry shooting so much and Paul/Rondo controlling the ball most of the time their numbers will always be inflated.

• tubal22 - Jul 18, 2014 at 12:17 PM

@urodaddy This makes sense until you see that Curry had 2+ assists per game than Parker. I’m not knocking parker, and I’m not a huge fan of Curry, but logically, it’s hard to deny that at this point, Curry is the better/more valuable PG.

11. themagicfanguy - Jul 17, 2014 at 7:19 PM

I didn’t think Anti could get dumber, then I saw him call Lebron the GOAT. Take the D out of your mouth for once and stop trolling.

12. mackcarrington - Jul 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Bill Simmons is thoroughly disgusting in his attempt to instigate a “feud” of some sort between players. He may be a “good writer” but he is a disgusting human being.

13. spyder9669 - Jul 17, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Dragic..also better than Rondo

14. mungman69 - Jul 17, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Oh boy, when does football start?

15. themagicfanguy - Jul 17, 2014 at 8:14 PM

What’s funny is This hack trying to say Curry is better than Rondo. Rondo would eat curry alive same with post-knees Rose, Westbrook would be a great matchup to watch.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 17, 2014 at 10:29 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Wonder why he dismisses Rondo so much. You can arguably call him the bestPG in the league easily. CP3 isn’t a lock as the #1 PG.

• kavika6 - Jul 18, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Just the most popular.

16. captainwisdom8888 - Jul 17, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Victories certainly matter, but people need to periodically remind themselves that TEAMS WIN GAMES…TEAMS WIN SUPERBOWLS.

• kavika6 - Jul 18, 2014 at 12:07 AM

The Spurs and Seahawks are perfect examples.

17. cgallegos92 - Jul 17, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Id take rondo any day before cp, bottom line

18. jsala02 - Jul 17, 2014 at 10:30 PM

CP is a flopper.

19. philyeagles5 - Jul 17, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Must’ve been the most boring interview ever.

20. kavika6 - Jul 18, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Chris Paul is a punk, but being on Cousins’ crap list puts him with very good company. That is one looooooong list.

21. Kansachusetts - Jul 18, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Cool it with the Rondo hate, Feldman. You’ve got two attacks on him online at the same time. Should I mention that Tony Parker’s brilliant play helped with the NBA championship this year? Didn’t see Steph Curry on the court at the time.

• Kansachusetts - Jul 18, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Or Chris Paul.

22. scoochpooch - Jul 18, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Stop mentioning Derrick Rose in these conversations. He’s NEVER going to be back to his MVP caliber play. Sad but true, stop denying it.
    I can’t stand Simmons.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches