Jul 17, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:45 pm: These sides aren’t just a little apart, they are Eliza Dushku and Rick Fox apart. From Chris Broussard of ESPN, who had the original report:
As we note below, Bledsoe’s problem is a lack of leverage. No other team has offered that because they expect the Suns will just match, but Phoenix isn’t just going to give Bledsoe the max. His only option is to play for the qualifying offer ($3.7 million) and be an unrestricted free agent next summer. But for a guy with a long injury history, that is a huge risk.
2:59 pm: Eric Bledsoe is the best free agent still out on the market. It’s not close.
Still there is nothing.
The Hornets stepped early in free agency and tried to steal restricted free agent Gordon Hayward away fro the Jazz, but Utah matched the max offer. Dallas stepped up and did poach restricted free agent Chandler Parsons away from Houston with three years and $46 million.
Restricted free agent Bledsoe still sits on the sidelines.
No team has made him a max offer, in part because it was assumed the Suns would just match it. But without that leverage Bledsoe is having trouble getting a deal he likes with the Suns, reports Chris Broussard at ESPN.
The future of one of the most talented free agents left on the market remains cloudy, as Eric Bledsoe and the Phoenix Suns remain far apart in contract talks, according to sources close to the situation.
Bledsoe’s representatives have been engaged in discussions with Phoenix, but the Suns’ offer is far below what Bledsoe is looking for.
It’s a situation to watch, but Bledsoe’s problem now is not many teams have cap space to go after him and so he lacks the leverage to get the kind of deal he wants.
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 0
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 18
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 56
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48