Shabazz Napier unfollows LeBron on Twitter, but says others run his account

Jul 16, 2014, 10:27 AM EST

Erik Spoelstra, Shabazz Napier Erik Spoelstra, Shabazz Napier

The Heat traded up in the draft to select Shabazz Napier, the Connecticut point guard that helped lead his team to a national championship.

LeBron James, who was still undecided about free agency at the time, approved, and had been high on Napier’s ability ever since the NCAA tournament.

But James ultimately left Miami to return to Cleveland, and once that happened, Napier unfollowed LeBron, and deleted some tweets referencing the Heat superstar.

At Summer League, Napier said, however, that this particular decision wasn’t his.

From James Ham of ESPN.com:

“The whole thing about that is I don’t know how to work Twitter yet and I’m not on my Twitter, so I don’t know where that came from,” Napier said following the Heat’s 85-83 loss to the Washington Wizards at Las Vegas Summer League.

Napier joined Twitter on June 25, a day before he was drafted by the Heat. He followed James shortly thereafter. But days after James decided to return to Cleveland, the point guard’s account, @ShabazzNapier, no longer follows James’ account, @KingJames, and any tweets sent toward James have been removed.

“I don’t pay attention to it,” Napier said. “It gets brought to me by family members, but I don’t pay any attention to it. I just think it’s how it is. Media wants something to bite on.”

This isn’t exactly “my account was hacked,” which is the go-to response for athletes who experience any form of controversy tied to their social media accounts.

But it’s a close second.

Author who trashed LeBron now lauds him

1. doctorofsmuganomics - Jul 16, 2014 at 10:37 AM

nice reporting tmz

2. balsagna - Jul 16, 2014 at 10:40 AM

I remember when he was drafted and people thought it would matter to Lebron. Now THAT’S hilarious.

3. tigeralum2010 - Jul 16, 2014 at 10:41 AM

lol, july NBA stories. Napier’s looked horrible in summer league anyways, just because Lebron likes him doesn’t mean the media needs to cover him like a superstar. Didn’t he go 2/16 in that game last night?

• sumkat - Jul 16, 2014 at 10:57 AM

they will latch onto it because it ties into James leaving Miami, which is a story they are desperate to keep around as long as possible.

He did get picked where he did mainly on the fact that James liked him, and Miami gambled that it would matter (it didn’t, but a slight gamble worth taking). There were definitely guys with higher ceilings picked after him, and they traded up to get him, which was probably their only mistake with the pick (although 2 2nd round picks don’t exactly cripple them for the future)

• 1historian - Jul 16, 2014 at 2:11 PM

They picked him because in the NCAA championship game he was stone cold the best player out there – he ran the show in the brightest possible light. There was NO doubt who was in charge – that’s the guy you want on your team.

• kinggw - Jul 16, 2014 at 11:09 AM

That’s ok. The summer league has never been a barometer of future NBA success. Once the real games start, I’m sure he’ll adjust just fine.

He’s not being covered like a superstar. People like drama, and Napier unfollowing James after he left the Heat seems like it has the makings of some minor drama so the media is doing what they are doing best.

• tigeralum2010 - Jul 16, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Hopefully he stops airballing 3’s once the real games start then

• 1historian - Jul 16, 2014 at 2:16 PM

The media is doing what they do best – if there’s no story make one up. Like you said.

FYI – I’m 70 years old and I’m an old fart and I don’t know how to text – don’t care to. I have no interest in Facebook or Twitter or any of that social media stuff, and nothing I have heard or seen about any of it interests me in the slightest. I have this computer I have a cellphone I have a telephone and that suits me fine.

Am I behind the times? Damn right.

Lucky me. you should try it some time.

• duhwighthoward - Jul 16, 2014 at 1:33 PM

The dude was such a stud in college. It’s hard to imagine he won’t supplant Mario Chalmers before the end of the season.

4. azarkhan - Jul 16, 2014 at 10:44 AM

And we should care because…?

5. adoombray - Jul 16, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Nobody with an IQ cares about Twitter. It exist solely to provide media for something to talk about. “oh no, Shabazz’s social media manager doesn’t read what LeBrons social media manager is posting!”

• antistratfordian - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:47 PM

#NeoLuddism

• adoombray - Jul 16, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Quite the opposite. I’m intelligent enough to think in more than 128 characters at a time. Twitter is good for some pigeon english and a link and some manufactured drama (people in music have fake fights all the time to keep their name out there) Twitter is for marketing and not for genuine interactions.

• antistratfordian - Jul 16, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Are you intelligent enough to find a way to express a complex thought in only 140 characters? Sometimes that is the game. But you can tweet links to your verbose expressions. I do it all the time.

Twitter is fascinating primarily because communication is as instantaneous as its ever been. It’s faster than any news source. Around my house, whenever I hear sirens and/or helicopters, I search twitter for my town and I immediately know what the commotion is about. It’s then on the news about an hour later. That is the future of communication. There is no escaping it, so trying to avoid it is pointless.

I am also fascinated by the fact that I can talk with people from all over the world so fluidly. It mesmerizes me in the same way that watching a 400 ton jet fly through the air bedazzles me. Eventually I suspect, way off in the future, that this ability will not be separate from us – we will communicate at the speed of thought without any external devices. Have you read “The Demolished Man”? Kind of like that.

• muhangis - Jul 17, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Nice term paper on Twitter, Antis, whether you like Twitter or hate Twitter, everything that you just said is point on!

• campcouch - Jul 17, 2014 at 6:41 AM

actually Twitter is a great source for news feeds if you’re not around a computer or TV. it’s also a good source of comedy. quite entertaining to see the physical manifestations of a boneheaded thought then the attempts to shove it back into their brains.

6. bostonian13 - Jul 16, 2014 at 11:24 AM

I seen this on ESPN, and was hoping ya wouldn’t make it a story. Guess I was wrong. TMZ or PBT?!?

7. dls612 - Jul 16, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Pbt should amnesty some of these writers!

8. paleihe - Jul 16, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Who notices crap like this?

Do people get paid to sit and who unfollows players? Stupid.

9. coldwater32301 - Jul 16, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Why apologize you not obligated to follow anyone… Loyalty is Loyalty… Indeed…

10. snipedanglecelly13 - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I’m sure lebron is devastated to lose a follower on twitter. Great comeback at lebron bro

11. haaaaasoooooo - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:18 PM

And…….no one cares. How are the Kardashians doin?

12. cruzan80 - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:20 PM

He’s trash anyway. Heat probably don’t even draft him if not for Jame’s remarks a couple months ago.

13. granadafan - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:37 PM

I work with a lot of women, and I’m fascinated/ horrified by how much they complain about someone who unfollowed them on Facebook/Twitter/ Instagram or vice versa. It’s always a massive drama. The guys in the office look at each other and just laugh at how ridiculous they sound.

14. sportsfan18 - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:40 PM

And many posters on this site think Napier is gonna be good.

15. campcouch - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM

That people authorize others to use any social media in their name is boggling. It’s not like the handle is ShabazzNapierzBuddy…it’s ShabazzNapier! I can understand the whole plausible deniability angle, but you’re letting someone else basically be you on a global stage…to say or do as they wish because you don’t pay attention to it. “I didn’t say that because my friend runs my account” or “My account was hacked”…prepare for it folks. BTW, LeBron James’ mere mentioning of this guy got him drafted and traded for. Do you think Pat Riley was really looking at Shabazz Napier as a piece? Naw.

• 1historian - Jul 16, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Thanks for explaining my abhorrence of social media in terms that people who like social; media can understand.

16. eagles512 - Jul 16, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Either he or his family who runs the account must be complete wack jobs.

17. eugenesaxe1 - Jul 16, 2014 at 4:03 PM

“I don’t know how to work Twitter yet and I’m not on my Twitter”

Wow. I can see signing up just to make sure nobody else gets your name,but if you’re not going to use it, keep it quiet. And he doesn’t know how to work it? I’ve never used it myself, but I bet I could operate it, even throw in a ridiculous hashtag or two. Then again, I’m not a 1st-round NBA pick.

18. junkmtb - Jul 16, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Oh poor thang, his feelings hurt that LBJ went home! Cry me a river!!!

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches