Jul 16, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
The Orlando Magic’s curious offseason continues.
First, they drafted Aaron Gordon (No. 4) and traded up from No. 12 to No. 10 to get Elfrid Payton. For the record, I would have taken Dante Exum and stayed at No. 12 to take Gary Harris. But which players a rebuilding team drafts is just a matter of preference – hardly worth getting worked up over.
Since, though, Orlando’s offseason has turned downright strange. The Magic – who went 23-59 with a young roster – just keep adding players in their 30s:
- Willie Green, 32 (claimed on waivers)
- Ben Gordon, 31 (signed two-year, $9 million contract)
- Channing Frye, 31 (agreed to four-year, $32 million contract)
They’re sticking with the trend in 33-year-old Luke Ridnour.
Chris Haynes of CSN Northwest:
These four are, at minimum, decent players who will bump Orlando up the standings. However, they were 15 games out of the playoffs last season. Slight upticks likely aren’t going to get Orlando much beyond worse lottery odds. Even in the lowly East, the Magic are a playoff longshot.
Yes, Orlando must hit the salary floor, but there are better strategies for filling payroll. Until Ridnour’s contract figures come in, I can’t say exactly how the Magic did here, but their repeated targeting of older players is curious at best.
On the bright side, maybe the lottery format will change and grant Orlando better lottery odds relative to its better record. If the Magic get really lucky, maybe they’ll stumble into the playoffs, lose in the first round and stunt their long-term growth.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30