Jul 16, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
It doesn’t exactly sound like he wants to be in Sacramento this coming season, either.
Speaking in a radio interview on Tuesday, not only did Terry say how much he’d like to return to Dallas where he won a championship in 2011, but he had some less-than-glowing remarks for two current members of the Kings who are technically his teammates.
The situation in Sacramento is one centered around rebuilding and youth, not exactly one catering to a 36-year-old shooting guard. Being rather direct, Terry said that the situation with the Kings wasn’t an ideal one for him.
“I wouldn’t say it’s rebuilding, but a building process,” Terry said. “DeMarcus Cousins, a huge talent. Attitude, a little shaky. Rudy Gay, not a proven winner in this league but a tremendous talent and a guy you can build around.
“They’re in transition right now. For me, at this point in my career, I want championships.”
Terry has one year and $5.4 million left on his contract with Sacramento, but the team has no interest in a buyout of the full amount, reports Jason Jones of the Sacramento Bee.
Terry wasn’t exactly slamming his fellow Kings here; after all, what he said is essentially common knowledge. But it’s unlikely to be viewed that way internally, and whether he’s waived using the stretch provision or bought out for less than the total value of his deal, it would seem likely that Terry won’t be a member of the Kings by the time next season begins.
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 6
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 13
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 19
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 52
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 4
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 17
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5