Jul 16, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
adidas had already locked up two of the top five picks in this summer’s draft when they signed Andrew Wiggins and Dante Exum, and now have added two additional lottery picks to their team as brand endorsers.
From the official release:
“I couldn’t be happier to make it official, I am now a member of the adidas family,” said Marcus Smart.
Embiid and Smart join the ranks of an adidas Basketball roster highlighted by first-time NBA All-Stars Damian Lillard of the Portland Trailblazers and John Wall of the Washington Wizards, 2011 NBA Most Valuable Player Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls, Dwight Howard of the Houston Rockets and Joakim Noah of the Chicago Bulls.
“adidas is a brand I’ve always admired, I’m very happy to join their team as I start my NBA career,” said Joel Embiid.
Jeff Goodman of ESPN reports that Embiid will receive $1.5 million over four years, and Smart will receive $1.2 million.
By comparison, Wiggins will receive $2 million per year for the next four years. Being the No. 1 overall pick apparently has its advantages.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 10
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 2
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 2
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 14
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5