Jul 16, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
adidas had already locked up two of the top five picks in this summer’s draft when they signed Andrew Wiggins and Dante Exum, and now have added two additional lottery picks to their team as brand endorsers.
From the official release:
“I couldn’t be happier to make it official, I am now a member of the adidas family,” said Marcus Smart.
Embiid and Smart join the ranks of an adidas Basketball roster highlighted by first-time NBA All-Stars Damian Lillard of the Portland Trailblazers and John Wall of the Washington Wizards, 2011 NBA Most Valuable Player Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls, Dwight Howard of the Houston Rockets and Joakim Noah of the Chicago Bulls.
“adidas is a brand I’ve always admired, I’m very happy to join their team as I start my NBA career,” said Joel Embiid.
Jeff Goodman of ESPN reports that Embiid will receive $1.5 million over four years, and Smart will receive $1.2 million.
By comparison, Wiggins will receive $2 million per year for the next four years. Being the No. 1 overall pick apparently has its advantages.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 7
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 24
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9