Jul 16, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
adidas had already locked up two of the top five picks in this summer’s draft when they signed Andrew Wiggins and Dante Exum, and now have added two additional lottery picks to their team as brand endorsers.
From the official release:
“I couldn’t be happier to make it official, I am now a member of the adidas family,” said Marcus Smart.
Embiid and Smart join the ranks of an adidas Basketball roster highlighted by first-time NBA All-Stars Damian Lillard of the Portland Trailblazers and John Wall of the Washington Wizards, 2011 NBA Most Valuable Player Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls, Dwight Howard of the Houston Rockets and Joakim Noah of the Chicago Bulls.
“adidas is a brand I’ve always admired, I’m very happy to join their team as I start my NBA career,” said Joel Embiid.
Jeff Goodman of ESPN reports that Embiid will receive $1.5 million over four years, and Smart will receive $1.2 million.
By comparison, Wiggins will receive $2 million per year for the next four years. Being the No. 1 overall pick apparently has its advantages.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 10
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 26
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16