Report: Trevor Booker, after Wizards decline to extend qualifying offer, receives larger contract from Jazz
Jul 15, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
That, after a small snag, foretold his free agency.
Booker received a larger contract than most expected, and logically, that was driven by competition.
Free-agent forward Trevor Booker has agreed to a two-year, $10 million deal with the Utah Jazz, a league source told Yahoo Sports on Tuesday.
The Wizards declined to give Trevor Booker his $4,677,708 qualifying offer – a one-year offer necessary to make him a restricted free agent. Still, the Jazz gave him an even larger salary on a longer contract.Maybe Utah just that much smarter than Washington, but it should be telling that the team that knows Booker best didn’t value him at $4,677,708 for one year. The Jazz should make their own evaluations, but they should consider outside factors – including Washington not extending a qualifying offer – as part of the equation.All said, Booker is a solid backup big man. He averaged 6.8 points on 55.4 percent shooting and 5.3 rebounds in 21.6 minutes game. At 26, he’s experience enough to help the Jazz if they’re surprisingly good next season and young enough to contribute down the road should their rebuild expectedly take multiple years.The Wizards should be OK. Nene and the recently signed Marcin Gortat are back, and Kris Humphries slides in to replace Booker. Restricted free agent Kevin Seraphin, whom Washington extended a qualifying offer, could also return.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47