Report: Trevor Booker, after Wizards decline to extend qualifying offer, receives larger contract from Jazz
Jul 15, 2014, 6:59 PM EST
That, after a small snag, foretold his free agency.
Booker received a larger contract than most expected, and logically, that was driven by competition.
Free-agent forward Trevor Booker has agreed to a two-year, $10 million deal with the Utah Jazz, a league source told Yahoo Sports on Tuesday.
The Wizards declined to give Trevor Booker his $4,677,708 qualifying offer – a one-year offer necessary to make him a restricted free agent. Still, the Jazz gave him an even larger salary on a longer contract.Maybe Utah just that much smarter than Washington, but it should be telling that the team that knows Booker best didn’t value him at $4,677,708 for one year. The Jazz should make their own evaluations, but they should consider outside factors – including Washington not extending a qualifying offer – as part of the equation.All said, Booker is a solid backup big man. He averaged 6.8 points on 55.4 percent shooting and 5.3 rebounds in 21.6 minutes game. At 26, he’s experience enough to help the Jazz if they’re surprisingly good next season and young enough to contribute down the road should their rebuild expectedly take multiple years.The Wizards should be OK. Nene and the recently signed Marcin Gortat are back, and Kris Humphries slides in to replace Booker. Restricted free agent Kevin Seraphin, whom Washington extended a qualifying offer, could also return.
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 13
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 40
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 7
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31