Jul 15, 2014, 12:49 PM EDT
On a smaller scale, Houston has replaced Asik.
Free agent Joey Dorsey has agreed to a two-year, $2 million deal with the Houston Rockets, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Dorsey, a 6-foot-9, 275-pound center, will play a backup role to All-Star Dwight Howard.
Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle:
Dorsey will likely be lower maintenance than Asik, who resented losing his starting spot to Howard. And he’s certainly much cheaper.
However, it’s unlikely the 30-year-old can impact games like Asik.
Playing with Derrick Rose at the University of Memphis, Dorsey impressed with his toughness, energy and athleticism. Drafted No. 33 in 2008, he was acquired in a draft-night trade by the Rockets. He spent a season and a half in Houston before going to the Kings and Raptors.
He hasn’t played in the NBA since 2011, though, as his focus rarely met the necessary levels. Daryl Morey should probably be searching for contingencies rather than relying on Dorsey to hold a role in the rotation.
But if Dorsey somehow regains the attitude that made him so fun at Memphis, Houston might have a steal. Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com:
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 28
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 26
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 56
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48