Jul 15, 2014, 1:35 PM EDT
You’ve gotta hear this one. So, Ricky Rubio’s agent wants –
OK, let me try again. So, Ricky Rubio’s agent wants a contract extension worth –
I just can’t do it without laughing. Here’s Darren Wolfson of 5 Eyewitness News (hat tip: Matt Moore of CBSSports.com):
This all goes back to former Timberwolves general manager David Khan refusing to offer Kevin Love the designated-player five-year max extension, saving it for his prized Rubio. That offended Love, and it’s allowing him to leave Minnesota a year early.
To double down on that mistake would be absurd. To do so after Khan has been ousted, thankfully for the Timberwolves, is impossible.
Flip Saunders is under no obligation to fulfill Khan’s ridiculous promises.
Rubio is a fine point guard. He’s a nifty passer and effective defender at a position where defense is lacking, but his inability to shoot from outside really limits his impact. He’s just 23, so I expect him to improve, but you can’t pay him anywhere near the max until he shows much more progress.
If Dan Fegan wants to discuss a reasonable extension before the Oct. 31 deadline, I’m sure Saunders would listen. Otherwise, Rubio will become a restricted free agent next summer.
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 2
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 1
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 4
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 24
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1