Jul 15, 2014, 1:35 PM EDT
You’ve gotta hear this one. So, Ricky Rubio’s agent wants –
OK, let me try again. So, Ricky Rubio’s agent wants a contract extension worth –
I just can’t do it without laughing. Here’s Darren Wolfson of 5 Eyewitness News (hat tip: Matt Moore of CBSSports.com):
This all goes back to former Timberwolves general manager David Khan refusing to offer Kevin Love the designated-player five-year max extension, saving it for his prized Rubio. That offended Love, and it’s allowing him to leave Minnesota a year early.
To double down on that mistake would be absurd. To do so after Khan has been ousted, thankfully for the Timberwolves, is impossible.
Flip Saunders is under no obligation to fulfill Khan’s ridiculous promises.
Rubio is a fine point guard. He’s a nifty passer and effective defender at a position where defense is lacking, but his inability to shoot from outside really limits his impact. He’s just 23, so I expect him to improve, but you can’t pay him anywhere near the max until he shows much more progress.
If Dan Fegan wants to discuss a reasonable extension before the Oct. 31 deadline, I’m sure Saunders would listen. Otherwise, Rubio will become a restricted free agent next summer.
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 1
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 13
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24