Jul 15, 2014, 1:35 PM EDT
You’ve gotta hear this one. So, Ricky Rubio’s agent wants –
OK, let me try again. So, Ricky Rubio’s agent wants a contract extension worth –
I just can’t do it without laughing. Here’s Darren Wolfson of 5 Eyewitness News (hat tip: Matt Moore of CBSSports.com):
This all goes back to former Timberwolves general manager David Khan refusing to offer Kevin Love the designated-player five-year max extension, saving it for his prized Rubio. That offended Love, and it’s allowing him to leave Minnesota a year early.
To double down on that mistake would be absurd. To do so after Khan has been ousted, thankfully for the Timberwolves, is impossible.
Flip Saunders is under no obligation to fulfill Khan’s ridiculous promises.
Rubio is a fine point guard. He’s a nifty passer and effective defender at a position where defense is lacking, but his inability to shoot from outside really limits his impact. He’s just 23, so I expect him to improve, but you can’t pay him anywhere near the max until he shows much more progress.
If Dan Fegan wants to discuss a reasonable extension before the Oct. 31 deadline, I’m sure Saunders would listen. Otherwise, Rubio will become a restricted free agent next summer.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85