Jul 15, 2014, 1:35 PM EST
You’ve gotta hear this one. So, Ricky Rubio’s agent wants –
OK, let me try again. So, Ricky Rubio’s agent wants a contract extension worth –
I just can’t do it without laughing. Here’s Darren Wolfson of 5 Eyewitness News (hat tip: Matt Moore of CBSSports.com):
This all goes back to former Timberwolves general manager David Khan refusing to offer Kevin Love the designated-player five-year max extension, saving it for his prized Rubio. That offended Love, and it’s allowing him to leave Minnesota a year early.
To double down on that mistake would be absurd. To do so after Khan has been ousted, thankfully for the Timberwolves, is impossible.
Flip Saunders is under no obligation to fulfill Khan’s ridiculous promises.
Rubio is a fine point guard. He’s a nifty passer and effective defender at a position where defense is lacking, but his inability to shoot from outside really limits his impact. He’s just 23, so I expect him to improve, but you can’t pay him anywhere near the max until he shows much more progress.
If Dan Fegan wants to discuss a reasonable extension before the Oct. 31 deadline, I’m sure Saunders would listen. Otherwise, Rubio will become a restricted free agent next summer.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 0
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 11
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 28
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 58
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13