Jul 15, 2014, 1:35 PM EDT
You’ve gotta hear this one. So, Ricky Rubio’s agent wants –
OK, let me try again. So, Ricky Rubio’s agent wants a contract extension worth –
I just can’t do it without laughing. Here’s Darren Wolfson of 5 Eyewitness News (hat tip: Matt Moore of CBSSports.com):
This all goes back to former Timberwolves general manager David Khan refusing to offer Kevin Love the designated-player five-year max extension, saving it for his prized Rubio. That offended Love, and it’s allowing him to leave Minnesota a year early.
To double down on that mistake would be absurd. To do so after Khan has been ousted, thankfully for the Timberwolves, is impossible.
Flip Saunders is under no obligation to fulfill Khan’s ridiculous promises.
Rubio is a fine point guard. He’s a nifty passer and effective defender at a position where defense is lacking, but his inability to shoot from outside really limits his impact. He’s just 23, so I expect him to improve, but you can’t pay him anywhere near the max until he shows much more progress.
If Dan Fegan wants to discuss a reasonable extension before the Oct. 31 deadline, I’m sure Saunders would listen. Otherwise, Rubio will become a restricted free agent next summer.
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 4
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 7
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40