Jul 15, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT
When Nene is healthy, the Washington Wizards have a powerful front line with him and just re-signed Marcin Gortat. But what they need is some depth behind those guys (especially Nene) to keep the minutes down and their health up.
Enter Kris Humphries.
A guy who takes a lot of ridicule for his off-the-court life from fans (remember the Kim Kardashian saga), on the court he is a rock-solid reserve big man — an efficient scorer who doesn’t use much offense, he’s strong on the glass and he provides a real physicality. He is going to the Wizards, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Free-agent forward Kris Humphries has agreed to a three-year, $13 million deal with the Washington Wizards, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
The Boston Celtics are finalizing a sign-and-trade agreement with Washington to fit Humphries’ deal into the salary cap, sources said. The Wizards can send Boston part of the trade exception earned with Houston in a recent sign-and-trade deal for Trevor Ariza.
The third year of Humphries’ contract will be a team option, a source said.
At that price this is a good signing.
Humphries scored just 8.4 points a game in 20 minutes a night for Boston last season (he started 30 games for them), but he did it with an efficient .558 true shooting percentage. He grabbed 16.9 percent of all the available rebounds when on the court. He’s a solid defender.
He will provide much needed depth for the Wizards.
Washington has had a very nice off-season re-signing Gortat,replacing Trevor Ariza with Paul Pierce and seeing young players such as Bradley Beal and Otto Porter develop. They are going to be a team to watch in the East next season.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11