Jul 15, 2014, 2:52 PM EST
When Nene is healthy, the Washington Wizards have a powerful front line with him and just re-signed Marcin Gortat. But what they need is some depth behind those guys (especially Nene) to keep the minutes down and their health up.
Enter Kris Humphries.
A guy who takes a lot of ridicule for his off-the-court life from fans (remember the Kim Kardashian saga), on the court he is a rock-solid reserve big man — an efficient scorer who doesn’t use much offense, he’s strong on the glass and he provides a real physicality. He is going to the Wizards, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Free-agent forward Kris Humphries has agreed to a three-year, $13 million deal with the Washington Wizards, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
The Boston Celtics are finalizing a sign-and-trade agreement with Washington to fit Humphries’ deal into the salary cap, sources said. The Wizards can send Boston part of the trade exception earned with Houston in a recent sign-and-trade deal for Trevor Ariza.
The third year of Humphries’ contract will be a team option, a source said.
At that price this is a good signing.
Humphries scored just 8.4 points a game in 20 minutes a night for Boston last season (he started 30 games for them), but he did it with an efficient .558 true shooting percentage. He grabbed 16.9 percent of all the available rebounds when on the court. He’s a solid defender.
He will provide much needed depth for the Wizards.
Washington has had a very nice off-season re-signing Gortat,replacing Trevor Ariza with Paul Pierce and seeing young players such as Bradley Beal and Otto Porter develop. They are going to be a team to watch in the East next season.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 23
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 38
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28