Jul 15, 2014, 10:33 AM EST
He was referring to children in Ohio, but maybe other NBA players will be inspired by LeBron going home.
Kevin Durant holds a STRONG connection to his native Washington, D.C., and he becomes a free agent in 2016. Could the Wizards sign him? Who would they be competing with besides the Thunder?
Stephen A. Smith of ESPN, as transcribed by Dan Steinberg of D.C. Sports Bog:
“I don’t think anybody, to be quite honest with you,” Smith said. “Obviously the New York Knicks would be in the mix and what have you. But there are folks that I’ve spoken to that are relatively close to Kevin Durant that tell me if he were to decide to leave Oklahoma City, it would be for the nation’s capital. That’s the kind of dude he is. That’s a place that he would consider.
“I certainly don’t want to sit here as a reporter and insider and try to give indications that he’s planning on leaving Oklahoma City,” Smith said. “I don’t know that to be sure. I don’t know that to be the case. But I was told that if there is a team that would be strongly considered, it is the Washington Wizards, and him returning home.”
Steinberg adds an important note:
However, there’s a huge difference between LeBron and Durant.
Durant can remain beloved in and around D.C. if he stays with the Thunder. He never broke the area’s heart by leaving the Wizards.
Returning to the Cavaliers was the only way Cleveland would embrace LeBron again anytime soon.
I’m sure Durant will have reasons to return to Washington, an area that still clearly means a lot to him. But he’s happy in Oklahoma City too, and I expect him to remain there.
Then again, not long ago, it seemed extremely unlikely LeBron would return to Cleveland.
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 7
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 18
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 14
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 29
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 9
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7