Jul 15, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
He was referring to children in Ohio, but maybe other NBA players will be inspired by LeBron going home.
Kevin Durant holds a STRONG connection to his native Washington, D.C., and he becomes a free agent in 2016. Could the Wizards sign him? Who would they be competing with besides the Thunder?
Stephen A. Smith of ESPN, as transcribed by Dan Steinberg of D.C. Sports Bog:
“I don’t think anybody, to be quite honest with you,” Smith said. “Obviously the New York Knicks would be in the mix and what have you. But there are folks that I’ve spoken to that are relatively close to Kevin Durant that tell me if he were to decide to leave Oklahoma City, it would be for the nation’s capital. That’s the kind of dude he is. That’s a place that he would consider.
“I certainly don’t want to sit here as a reporter and insider and try to give indications that he’s planning on leaving Oklahoma City,” Smith said. “I don’t know that to be sure. I don’t know that to be the case. But I was told that if there is a team that would be strongly considered, it is the Washington Wizards, and him returning home.”
Steinberg adds an important note:
However, there’s a huge difference between LeBron and Durant.
Durant can remain beloved in and around D.C. if he stays with the Thunder. He never broke the area’s heart by leaving the Wizards.
Returning to the Cavaliers was the only way Cleveland would embrace LeBron again anytime soon.
I’m sure Durant will have reasons to return to Washington, an area that still clearly means a lot to him. But he’s happy in Oklahoma City too, and I expect him to remain there.
Then again, not long ago, it seemed extremely unlikely LeBron would return to Cleveland.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 11
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29