Jul 15, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
Though other players can veto trades based on external conditions – e.g., accepting a qualifying offer – only those four had no-trade clauses specifically negotiated into their contracts.
Carmelo Anthony will join them.
Frank Isola of the New York Daily News:
Carmelo Anthony has more power than you think. According to a league source, his new deal includes a no-trade clause, Daily News has learned—
Frank Isola (@FisolaNYDN) July 16, 2014
Remember this theory relayed by Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports?
Within Anthony's circle, belief's been this, sources tell Y: Get NY's $129M now, figure out destination later. You can always get a trade.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 09, 2014
That idea is much more interesting now. If Melo ever wants a trade, he can essentially dictate his destination. It’s not quite as good as free agency, but it’s closer than ever. As the salary cap increases and contracts shorten, more teams will be positioned to trade for Melo if he requests.
The Knicks, by giving Melo this no-trade clause, lose a lot of leverage if he ever hits the trade block. Phil Jackson certainly hopes it never comes to that.
Beyond the no-trade clause, we’re learning a little more about Melo’s new contract.
Ian Begley of ESPN:
Sources: Melo's $124 million pact includes "slight increase" in Year 2 & "larger increases" thereafter. No specific figures available yet.—
Ian Begley (@IanBegley) July 15, 2014
Melo’s 2015-16 salary is the key missing figure. The Knicks stand to have significant cap room next summer, and every dollar less than the maximum salary Melo receives that year should help New York.
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 0
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clipper’s Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 6
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 14
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35