Jul 15, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
I’ll just admit my bias up front — I’m a Long Beach State season ticket holder and I love this news about James Ennis.
Although the expected news about Udonis Haslem is probably the bigger story.
The Miami Heat announced they have signed James Ennis to a contract and will be bringing back Haslem for two more seasons.
Haslem opted out of his contract to give Pat Riley room to maneuver during free agency and there was no way he wasn’t going to be back — Miami signed him with the room exception, giving him $2.7 million next two seasons.
As for James Ennis, Riley talked about him.
“We were excited to draft James a year ago and have been impressed by the growth of his game in Summer League and Puerto Rico, as well as his terrific experience in Australia, leading Perth to a championship. We are looking forward to the infusion of energy he will bring to our roster.”
Miami traded for the rights to Long Beach State’s Ennis on draft night in 2013 in a trade with Atlanta, but he went to play last season overseas in Australia (he would have spent the season in the D-League stateside, overseas he got paid more). He led the Perth Wildcats to the Australian Basketball League title averaging 21.2 points, 7.2 rebounds, and shooting 35 percent from three.
Ennis showed his growth in five summer league games for Miami, scoring 15.1 points a game and shooting 48.1 percent from three.
He’s going to be a “3&D” guy in the NBA and he’s got some work to do to really bring that at an NBA level, but he’s shown growth and he has the athleticism, so he’s going to get the chance.
For you keeping track at home, that could mean two Long Beach State alums in the NBA, the other being the Sixers’ Casper Ware.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16