Miami Heat sign James Ennis, Udonis Haslem

Jul 15, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT

Houston Rockets v Miami Heat Getty Images

I’ll just admit my bias up front — I’m a Long Beach State season ticket holder and I love this news about James Ennis.

Although the expected news about Udonis Haslem is probably the bigger story.

The Miami Heat announced they have signed James Ennis to a contract and will be bringing back Haslem for two more seasons.

Haslem opted out of his contract to give Pat Riley room to maneuver during free agency and there was no way he wasn’t going to be back — Miami signed him with the room exception, giving him $2.7 million next two seasons.

As for James Ennis, Riley talked about him.

“We were excited to draft James a year ago and have been impressed by the growth of his game in Summer League and Puerto Rico, as well as his terrific experience in Australia, leading Perth to a championship. We are looking forward to the infusion of energy he will bring to our roster.”

Miami traded for the rights to Long Beach State’s Ennis on draft night in 2013 in a trade with Atlanta, but he went to play last season overseas in Australia (he would have spent the season in the D-League stateside, overseas he got paid more). He led the Perth Wildcats to the Australian Basketball League title averaging 21.2 points, 7.2 rebounds, and shooting 35 percent from three.

Ennis showed his growth in five summer league games for Miami, scoring 15.1 points a game and shooting 48.1 percent from three.

He’s going to be a “3&D” guy in the NBA and he’s got some work to do to really bring that at an NBA level, but he’s shown growth and he has the athleticism, so he’s going to get the chance.

For you keeping track at home, that could mean two Long Beach State alums in the NBA, the other being the Sixers’ Casper Ware.

1. 00maltliquor - Jul 15, 2014 at 9:20 PM

I gotta hand it to the Heat FO. They are a loyal bunch. I respect it. Probably should have let him walk, he doesn’t even play anymore and he’s old, but I would like to see him stay his entire career there. It’s a good story, especially since he’s a hometown, homegrown product.

• antistratfordian - Jul 15, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Heh. True, but they had no problem letting him walk when LeBron and Bosh came over. If it wasn’t for the Big 3 taking 15-17 million off their deals Haslem would probably be in Denver.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 15, 2014 at 9:32 PM

I thought it was Dallas. I’m pretty sure.

• antistratfordian - Jul 15, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Well Denver and Dallas was offering him the most money, I just chose one.

• kinggw - Jul 15, 2014 at 9:34 PM

It was Dallas, and it was ironic when the Mavs beat the Heat for the O’Brien the Big 3’s first season together.

• antistratfordian - Jul 15, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Dallas, or Denver.

• heat256 - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:56 AM

I believe the story was he had the better offer on the table, told Riley about it, and not long after his mom’s funeral that most of the Heat organization attended, that he was told the Big 3 gave up money (Bosh and James pretty much without any thought) to keep him there. He never wanted to leave the Heat. I am sure he will have a front office/coaching job there as long as he wants and his number will be retired and in the rafters.

• antistratfordian - Jul 16, 2014 at 2:55 PM

His mother was still only sick then – she wasn’t dead. That’s why it was so hard for UD, he was going to have to go to Denver or Dallas with his mom sick in Miami.

2. leeeeroyjenkins - Jul 15, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Miami takes care of their own

3. dolphindubs - Jul 15, 2014 at 10:00 PM

God it feels so good to read a Miami article and then go to the comments section and not see 70 comments from bandwagon Heat-haters.

I’m going to enjoy this time…

• kevindoc593 - Jul 15, 2014 at 11:51 PM

I said the same thing when the news of LBJ leaving came out, Us Heat fans are going to finally be able to read, enjoy and comment with people on Heat articles. Instead of getting bashed and trolled on.

Like you said I’m going to enjoy this time, the Heat trolls moving to another team’s fan base to rip on. I do feel for the fans of whoever’s team they choose. Last four years have been hell to be a Heat fan on a comment board.

I wonder if all the trolls are going to get together and vote on it. lol

• ranfan12 - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:20 AM

lebron traveled

damn it, doesn’t work anymore… lol

4. rodge1 - Jul 15, 2014 at 10:03 PM

I’d like to see Miami get bigger and get rid of the small ball. A balanced team that can rebound will go a lot farther than an exhausted running team.

• nard100 - Jul 16, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Amen!

5. campcouch - Jul 15, 2014 at 10:32 PM

So Miami is constructing a team versus three guys and a backup troupe. It’s great what you can do with a little extra money. Ask San Antonio.

6. whglll1978 - Jul 15, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Maybe we’ll get Boozier.

7. prareedoggin - Jul 15, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Yea i agree with bigger, maybe go after okafor or pay up and get Monroe

The list of championship contenders
Top 10 NBA Player Searches