Bulls dump Anthony Randolph on Magic

Jul 15, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

The Bulls must have really liked Doug McDermott.

Chicago has essentially given up two first-round and three second-round picks for the Creighton forward. On draft night, the Bulls traded the No. 16 and No. 19 picks and a 2015 second rounder for the No. 11 pick and Anthony Randolph.

Now, they’re paying the Magic to take Randolph off their hands.

Sam Amick of USA Today:

The Bulls also have the Trail Blazers’ second rounders in 2015 and 2016.

Milovan Rakovic, going to the Bulls, was drafted with the final pick in the 2007 draft. He fills the requirement that both teams trade something, and it’s unlikely the 29-year-old Serbian ever joins the NBA.

I suppose it’s possible the Bulls liked Randolph, and their plans changed since. Maybe they didn’t anticipate needing to dump and do now to sign the clearly more-valuable Pau Gasol and Nikola Mirotic.

I doubt that, though. More likely, accepting  Randolph – who’s owed $1,825,359 next season – was part of the cost of the trade.

For the Magic, this is the advantage of preserving cap room. A couple extra picks always come in handy for a rebuilding team.

1. money2long - Jul 15, 2014 at 9:59 AM

I didn’t know what team Randolph was on.

• ebecks34 - Jul 15, 2014 at 11:47 AM

He’s in pursuit of Joe Smith’s record of most teams played for, watch out Joe!

• tardyman - Jul 15, 2014 at 1:43 PM

and he’s still 25 years old. Lots of potential to break the record

2. rrhoe - Jul 15, 2014 at 12:07 PM

This guy has been an enigma since entering the league. I remember him tearing up the summer league a few years ago and he’s been team hopping ever since.

3. 00maltliquor - Jul 15, 2014 at 12:40 PM

I had such high hopes for this guy once upon a time. I don’t think he gets a fair shot, when he does play for a good amount of time he puts up decent numbers. I hope someone takes a chance on him if ORL does waive him. Lakers?

I kind of feel the same way about Austin Daye. These guys are one in the same.

• nbascreed - Jul 15, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Let me disabuse you of the “he’s not getting a shot” meme right now. The NBA is a business. Coaches are on the hot seat the minute they’re hired. Don’t believe me? See what happens if Brad Stevens doesn’t markedly improve this year.

Randolph has had all the opportunities in the world and coach after coach, GM after GM have decided he doesn’t have the goods. Like Beasley he has a poor work ethic and low skillset so when his size or athleticism are matched by his opponent he has nothing to rely on.

4. csbanter - Jul 15, 2014 at 3:29 PM

A few years ago this dude was on many teams wish list. Maybe he gets playing time in Orlando. Apparently he’s highly thought of otherwise he’d be out the league by now.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches