Jul 14, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
In January, USA basketball announced a 28-man pool for the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympic rosters. That field was flexible, and it’s been narrowed and expanded for the World Cup.
Here are all 19 players in contention for the World Cup roster:
- Bradley Beal (Washington Wizards)
- DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings)
- Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors)
- Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans)
- DeMar DeRozan (Toronto Raptors)
- Andre Drummond (Detroit Pistons)
- Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder)
- Kenneth Faried (Denver Nuggets)
- Paul George (Indiana Pacers)
- Blake Griffin (Los Angeles Clippers)
- James Harden (Houston Rockets)
- Gordon Hayward (Utah Jazz)
- Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers)
- Kyle Korver (Atlanta Hawks)
- Damian Lillard (Portland Trail Blazers)
- Kevin Love (Minnesota Timberwolves)
- Chandler Parsons (Dallas Mavericks)
- Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls)
- Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors)
And here are the players left off from the initial pool. Remember, some of this group could still make the Olympic team:
- Carmelo Anthony (New York Knicks)
- LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers)
- Chris Paul (Los Angeles Clippers)
- Deron Williams (Brooklyn Nets)
- Tyson Chandler (Dallas Mavericks)
- Andre Iguodala (Golden State Warriors)
- Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City Thunder)
- Dwight Howard (Houston Rockets)
- LaMarcus Aldridge (Portland Trail Blazers)
- David Lee (Golden State Warriors)
- Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs)
“Looking at the roster of players who will be participating in the training camp I’m impressed by the success they had this past season and by what they have achieved in their careers,” team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski said in a released statement. “It’s valuable to have some veteran leadership who has won gold at the highest levels internationally. The list also includes some of the most exciting young players who could definitely contribute to this team. Myself and the entire coaching staff are excited to get things underway and as we’ve done each summer our team will strive to represent the United States with respect and a commitment to excellence that hopefully will make every American proud.”
Here’s my early guess at the World Cup roster:
Cousins-Drummond will be an interesting matchup for backup center. Thompson-Beal for third shooting guard and Korver-Hayward-Parsons for specialist will also be intriguing – and the winner of each battle might even have to prove that position warrants a roster spot.
Nov 1, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Nov 1, 2014, 12:31 AM EDT
Oct 31, 2014, 11:23 PM EDT
It wasn’t perfect, but the Cavaliers will take the hard-fought victory after the opening night embarrassment.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
An exercise in futility for Waiters.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Fair for both sides.
Oct 31, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
Some Halloween fun in Phoenix.
Oct 31, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
Varejao is one of LeBron James’ favorite teammates
Oct 31, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
Butler’s agent claims the Bulls wanted him to take a hometown discount.
Oct 31, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
Thompson’s max deal was inevitable.
Oct 31, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
It’s as great as you’d expect.
Oct 31, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Lopez has no timetable for a return.
Oct 31, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Knight will be a restricted free agent this summer.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
LeBron’s agent also represents Jackson
Oct 31, 2014, 1:37 PM EDT
Oklahoma City has completely relied on its two – now injured – stars
Oct 31, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Are they certain this time?
Oct 31, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Utah betting big, too big, on Burks continuing to improve
Oct 31, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Clippers owner continues to go crazy while watching games
Oct 31, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Dirk, Monta and Chandler are the new Run DMC
Oct 31, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
New coach didn’t give reserves enough playing time in Cleveland’s opener
Oct 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Somehow, this seems to make sense for both sides
- LeBron scores 36, Cavaliers bounce back to get overtime win over Bulls 9
- Ricky Rubio agrees to 4-year, $55 million contract extension with Timberwolves 12
- Report: Warriors agree to four-year, $70 million extension with Klay Thompson 14
- Can Thunder, without Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, overcome their first identity crisis? 13
- Jazz guard Alec Burks signs contract extension worth $42 million-$45 million 13
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 12
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 2
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 10