Jul 14, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
In January, USA basketball announced a 28-man pool for the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympic rosters. That field was flexible, and it’s been narrowed and expanded for the World Cup.
Here are all 19 players in contention for the World Cup roster:
- Bradley Beal (Washington Wizards)
- DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings)
- Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors)
- Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans)
- DeMar DeRozan (Toronto Raptors)
- Andre Drummond (Detroit Pistons)
- Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder)
- Kenneth Faried (Denver Nuggets)
- Paul George (Indiana Pacers)
- Blake Griffin (Los Angeles Clippers)
- James Harden (Houston Rockets)
- Gordon Hayward (Utah Jazz)
- Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers)
- Kyle Korver (Atlanta Hawks)
- Damian Lillard (Portland Trail Blazers)
- Kevin Love (Minnesota Timberwolves)
- Chandler Parsons (Dallas Mavericks)
- Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls)
- Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors)
And here are the players left off from the initial pool. Remember, some of this group could still make the Olympic team:
- Carmelo Anthony (New York Knicks)
- LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers)
- Chris Paul (Los Angeles Clippers)
- Deron Williams (Brooklyn Nets)
- Tyson Chandler (Dallas Mavericks)
- Andre Iguodala (Golden State Warriors)
- Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City Thunder)
- Dwight Howard (Houston Rockets)
- LaMarcus Aldridge (Portland Trail Blazers)
- David Lee (Golden State Warriors)
- Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs)
“Looking at the roster of players who will be participating in the training camp I’m impressed by the success they had this past season and by what they have achieved in their careers,” team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski said in a released statement. “It’s valuable to have some veteran leadership who has won gold at the highest levels internationally. The list also includes some of the most exciting young players who could definitely contribute to this team. Myself and the entire coaching staff are excited to get things underway and as we’ve done each summer our team will strive to represent the United States with respect and a commitment to excellence that hopefully will make every American proud.”
Here’s my early guess at the World Cup roster:
Cousins-Drummond will be an interesting matchup for backup center. Thompson-Beal for third shooting guard and Korver-Hayward-Parsons for specialist will also be intriguing – and the winner of each battle might even have to prove that position warrants a roster spot.
Sep 15, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
Who else was Lionel Hollins going to start?
Sep 15, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
Washington building up competition for open 15th spot
Sep 15, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
Some team will pick him up. Eventually.
Sep 15, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
KD is an Iverson fan.
Sep 15, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Silas appears to have real chance of making the team
Sep 15, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Derrick Rose stayed healthy but never shook the rust fully off his shot.
Sep 15, 2014, 3:35 PM EDT
Soccer already has the right model, it’s just going to be hard to get FIBA on board.
Sep 15, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
D-League is ripe for expansion
Sep 15, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT
Harris unsure whether Orlando will let him hit restricted free agency
Sep 15, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Blake Griffin has done some brilliant marketing campaigns.
Sep 15, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Liz shot 49 percent on 3-points in World Cup
Sep 15, 2014, 12:08 PM EDT
Dolan said he’s let Phil Jackson run the team, and Jackson affirms Dolan has so far
Sep 15, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Duke coach benefits big time in recruiting from World Cup, Olympic coaching
Sep 15, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
And so it begins.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:43 AM EDT
When do scouts cross a line?
Sep 15, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Chalmers thought Heat wouldn’t re-sign him after disastrous NBA Finals
Sep 15, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
It’s close… well, not the shaves but the quality of beard.
Sep 15, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Anthony Davis is ready to make the next leap.
Sep 15, 2014, 1:07 AM EDT
Mark Price worked with him last summer too and it had limited effect.
Sep 14, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
“If he wanted to leave, there’s no reason to talk to him about it,” Rubio said.
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 15
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 28
- FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold 4