Jul 14, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Enter Richard Jefferson.
We can debate how much is left in those legs but Dallas is willing to give him a shot on a one-year deal at the league minimum, reports Marc Stein at ESPN.
Jefferson shot 40.9 percent from three last season (he was a starter for the Jazz averaging 10.1 points a game) and the Mavs will ask him to step into Vince Carter’s role of a wing shooter off the bench. The problem is that Carter still has a lot more all-around game than Jefferson at this point, Jefferson is 34 and father time is now winning the race.
But on a minimum deal and in a limited role, this is not the worst gamble by the Mavs. They just can’t expect too much.
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 12
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 22
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 79
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 10
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38