Jul 14, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
Pat Riley did about as well as one could expect in putting together an interesting roster in Miami’s post-LeBron James world. Chris Bosh is getting a lot of money to step back into a key offensive role, and with the additions of Luol Deng and Josh McRoberts the Heat can be even more of the small-ball, aggressive team they had been. In the East, that is a lock playoff team.
Don’t tell Bosh that. Bosh spoke with Tom Haberstroh of ESPN about how good he thinks this Heat team can be.
“I think right now we have the correct infrastructure to compete for a championship,” Bosh said. “We have to get much better at certain positions, and there’s a bunch of things that have to continue to happen. But you know a team like the Spurs, they had a lot of guys that people underestimate, but as a team, they were outstanding.”
“I can’t lie to you: I’m excited. I’m excited for the challenge,” Bosh said during a break from NBA Africa duties. “I want to step up to the challenge. I feel this is a chance to prove to myself and others that I can still do this.
“I want to see if I can do what’s necessary to go in there and win every night. That’s the challenge of being a leader. It excites me. It’s been a long time and I feel like I’m a much better player and a leader now, so it’ll be fun.”
Good for Bosh. That is exactly what you want to hear from a player. You want your leaders to be positive and believe.
Doesn’t mean I think you should bet on the Heat to win a title in the next couple years.
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 0
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 18
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9
- Who is left on the board after wild first day of NBA free agency? 30