Jul 14, 2014, 12:59 PM EST
Pat Riley did about as well as one could expect in putting together an interesting roster in Miami’s post-LeBron James world. Chris Bosh is getting a lot of money to step back into a key offensive role, and with the additions of Luol Deng and Josh McRoberts the Heat can be even more of the small-ball, aggressive team they had been. In the East, that is a lock playoff team.
Don’t tell Bosh that. Bosh spoke with Tom Haberstroh of ESPN about how good he thinks this Heat team can be.
“I think right now we have the correct infrastructure to compete for a championship,” Bosh said. “We have to get much better at certain positions, and there’s a bunch of things that have to continue to happen. But you know a team like the Spurs, they had a lot of guys that people underestimate, but as a team, they were outstanding.”
“I can’t lie to you: I’m excited. I’m excited for the challenge,” Bosh said during a break from NBA Africa duties. “I want to step up to the challenge. I feel this is a chance to prove to myself and others that I can still do this.
“I want to see if I can do what’s necessary to go in there and win every night. That’s the challenge of being a leader. It excites me. It’s been a long time and I feel like I’m a much better player and a leader now, so it’ll be fun.”
Good for Bosh. That is exactly what you want to hear from a player. You want your leaders to be positive and believe.
Doesn’t mean I think you should bet on the Heat to win a title in the next couple years.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 7
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 12
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30