Cavaliers’ No. 1 pick looks good in Summer League. No, not that one. Anthony Bennett.

Jul 14, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v San Antonio Spurs Getty Images

LAS VEGAS — The first thing you notice is Anthony Bennett is in shape now.

Not the spare tire shape he was in last season, when shoulder surgery slowed his summer workouts and had him packing on the pounds. Which led to whispers around the league about his work ethic. No, Bennett is in legitimately good shape — he’s dropped 19 pounds according to the Cavaliers official Web site, although that may sell it short based on the eyeball test.

“It wasn’t really that tough,” said Bennett, who added he has a personal chef now. “My body is kind of weird. I can gain weight fast, I can lose weight fast. So it was just me maintaining it. Watching what I eat at night.”

The next thing you notice is that improved shape has him playing with real energy and purpose, and he is able to maintain it for an extended period of time. That really showed Sunday at Summer League on the glass when he pulled down 14 rebounds.

“You grab 14 rebounds you got a place to play,” new Cavaliers coach Dave Blatt said.

Anthony Bennett has looked like a solid, quality NBA player in Las Vegas.

Still not No. 1 overall pick material, he doesn’t flash the potential of Andrew Wiggins (who has packed the gym in Vegas with fans). However, after a rookie season that made him an NBA punchline, Bennett has come out in Vegas and looked like a quality NBA player. Like a guy who could get minutes on an obviously much improved Cavaliers team.

“AB has been good since Day 1, since I came,” Blatt said. “He’s really working hard to get himself in shape. He’s really, really trying hard to do a lot of things on the court to help the team win and not be under pressure to do one thing just to stay on the floor. It’s a work in progress.”

“It was kind of a setback for me with the shoulder stuff but I’m just trying to put that in the past, come out here and have fun,” Bennett said.

He wasn’t having fun last season, when he was having statistically the worst season a No. 1 pick who was healthy ever had.

“Most definitely,” Bennett said when asked if last season was hard on him. “Just putting a lot of pressure on myself, things were’t going right for me. Everything just collapsed and was building up. I got down on myself, but my teammates help me out a lot, just told me to keep going.”

The Bennett in Vegas looks and plays like a different guy.

Sunday night he showed off a pick-and-pop midrange game. Overall he was 5-of-8 shooting but more importantly he was 3-of-5 from the top of the key area when he popped instead of rolled, showing a nice facet to his game.

“Anthony has shown the ability to do a lot of things. He can play with his face to the basket, he can play with his back to the basket,” Blatt said. “I think it’s important that he feels comfortable and he tries not to hurry. As long as he lets the game come to him, as long as he makes good decisions, he’s in a good place like he was today.”
Back home in Las Vegas where he was raised, Bennett is finding a comfort level in the NBA.

“I see my high school principal here, a few teachers, my AAU coach, a few friends. I just feel more relaxed,” Bennett said.

Expectations are through the roof in Cleveland, bringing in LeBron James will do that. Bennett is going to have to fight for minutes.

Plenty of guys have looked good in Summer League and been unable to translate that to the regular season. Bennett still has a lot of work to do.

But from where he’s come, he looks good. Continue on this trajectory and the Cavaliers may be adding another good young player to the mix next season. One they already had in house.

Latest Posts
  1. Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner

Aug 27, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT

Miami Heat v New York Knicks Getty Images

Shumpert and other Knicks will love an offense with player and ball movement… if ‘Melo shares the rock.

2. Sixers GM says he never had conversations about acquiring Anthony Bennett

Aug 27, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT

Sam Hinkie

Sixers value a pick in next year’s draft more than they do Bennett at this time.

3. Report: Clippers plan to stretch Carlos Delfino, waive Miroslav Raduljica

Aug 27, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT

Carlos Delfino Carlos Delfino

Clippers could sign Chris Douglas-Roberts, Ekpe Udoh with freed cap space

4. Anthony Davis was filling up the stat sheet vs. Slovenia (VIDEO)

Aug 27, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Anthony Davis Anthony Davis

Davis had 18 points, nine rebounds, five blocks and three steals in 20 minutes of work.

5. Kyrie Irving, Goran Dragic threw some wicked moves at each other (VIDEO)

Aug 27, 2014, 12:25 AM EDT

Puerto Rico v United States Getty Images

The point guards made this blowout more fun to watch.

6. Bucks sign No. 31 pick Damien Inglis

Aug 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT

2014 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot Getty Images

Milwaukee’s trade with Clippers cleared a roster spot

7. Zydrunas Ilgauskas’ agent denies comeback attempt

Aug 26, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Former Cavaliers center, 39, has been retired three years

8. Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers

Aug 26, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT

Hasheem Thabeet, Maalik Wayns Hasheem Thabeet, Maalik Wayns

Oklahoma City will create trade exception, and Philadelphia will waive Thabeet

9. From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle

Aug 26, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT

Olympics Day 16 - Basketball Olympics Day 16 - Basketball

Kevin Love: ‘My decision’ swayed by LeBron James calling just after choosing Cavaliers in free agency

10. New NBA rule clears more space on baseline

Aug 26, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT

Russell Westbrook Russell Westbrook

Number of camera positions behind baseline to be halved

11. Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica

Aug 26, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT

Jared Dudley Jared Dudley

Clippers limit their present and future, and the Bucks gain an easy asset

12. Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov

Aug 26, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Denver Nuggets - Game Two Getty Images

Cleveland not offering assets as of yet, so Denver’s not biting.

13. J.R. Smith: ‘I’m on pace to be one of the best shooters the game had ever seen’

Aug 26, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT

Charlotte Bobcats v New York Knicks Getty Images

Career three-pointers made is the only category where this statement begins to make any sense.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches