Cavaliers’ No. 1 pick looks good in Summer League. No, not that one. Anthony Bennett.

Jul 14, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v San Antonio Spurs Getty Images

LAS VEGAS — The first thing you notice is Anthony Bennett is in shape now.

Not the spare tire shape he was in last season, when shoulder surgery slowed his summer workouts and had him packing on the pounds. Which led to whispers around the league about his work ethic. No, Bennett is in legitimately good shape — he’s dropped 19 pounds according to the Cavaliers official Web site, although that may sell it short based on the eyeball test.

“It wasn’t really that tough,” said Bennett, who added he has a personal chef now. “My body is kind of weird. I can gain weight fast, I can lose weight fast. So it was just me maintaining it. Watching what I eat at night.”

The next thing you notice is that improved shape has him playing with real energy and purpose, and he is able to maintain it for an extended period of time. That really showed Sunday at Summer League on the glass when he pulled down 14 rebounds.

“You grab 14 rebounds you got a place to play,” new Cavaliers coach Dave Blatt said.

Anthony Bennett has looked like a solid, quality NBA player in Las Vegas.

Still not No. 1 overall pick material, he doesn’t flash the potential of Andrew Wiggins (who has packed the gym in Vegas with fans). However, after a rookie season that made him an NBA punchline, Bennett has come out in Vegas and looked like a quality NBA player. Like a guy who could get minutes on an obviously much improved Cavaliers team.

“AB has been good since Day 1, since I came,” Blatt said. “He’s really working hard to get himself in shape. He’s really, really trying hard to do a lot of things on the court to help the team win and not be under pressure to do one thing just to stay on the floor. It’s a work in progress.”

“It was kind of a setback for me with the shoulder stuff but I’m just trying to put that in the past, come out here and have fun,” Bennett said.

He wasn’t having fun last season, when he was having statistically the worst season a No. 1 pick who was healthy ever had.

“Most definitely,” Bennett said when asked if last season was hard on him. “Just putting a lot of pressure on myself, things were’t going right for me. Everything just collapsed and was building up. I got down on myself, but my teammates help me out a lot, just told me to keep going.”

The Bennett in Vegas looks and plays like a different guy.

Sunday night he showed off a pick-and-pop midrange game. Overall he was 5-of-8 shooting but more importantly he was 3-of-5 from the top of the key area when he popped instead of rolled, showing a nice facet to his game.

“Anthony has shown the ability to do a lot of things. He can play with his face to the basket, he can play with his back to the basket,” Blatt said. “I think it’s important that he feels comfortable and he tries not to hurry. As long as he lets the game come to him, as long as he makes good decisions, he’s in a good place like he was today.”
Back home in Las Vegas where he was raised, Bennett is finding a comfort level in the NBA.

“I see my high school principal here, a few teachers, my AAU coach, a few friends. I just feel more relaxed,” Bennett said.

Expectations are through the roof in Cleveland, bringing in LeBron James will do that. Bennett is going to have to fight for minutes.

Plenty of guys have looked good in Summer League and been unable to translate that to the regular season. Bennett still has a lot of work to do.

But from where he’s come, he looks good. Continue on this trajectory and the Cavaliers may be adding another good young player to the mix next season. One they already had in house.

Latest Posts
  1. Amar’e Stoudemire on retiring: “There’s a lot of high-level basketball left in me”

Mar 27, 2015, 1:08 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Stoudemire can give a team 15 minutes a night off the bench of quality play.

2. NBA admits incorrect no-call by referees on final play of Lakers’ overtime win over Timberwolves

Mar 26, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Minnesota Timberwolves Los Angeles Lakers v Minnesota Timberwolves

A day later the league says Andrew Wiggins was fouled, but the officials let it go at the time.

3. Clippers holding off on re-signing Nate Robinson after second 10-day contract expires

Mar 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Charlotte Hornets v Los Angeles Clippers Charlotte Hornets v Los Angeles Clippers

Clippers would need to ink Robinson for the rest of the season, but are waiting to see how quickly he can return after a recent knee injury.

4. Wizards coach Randy Wittman: ‘I don’t give a crap what Marreese Speights thinks’

Mar 26, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

Randy Wittman AP

Speights said the Warriors knew the Wizards would quit after Golden State beat them recently, and Washington’s coach responds.

5. Nets say Thaddeus Young has a left knee strain, out Friday vs. Cavaliers

Mar 26, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Brooklyn is a half-game out of the eighth and final playoff spot in the East.

6. Timofey Mozgov’s local commercial is an absolute gem (video)

Mar 26, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Cleveland Cavaliers Indiana Pacers v Cleveland Cavaliers

Timofey Mozgov in a backward jersey? Timofey Mozgov in a backward jersey

7. Tim Duncan bet on basketball, according to his girlfriend

Mar 26, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT

Tim Duncan, Mitch McGary AP

Spurs big man apparently earned $100 by making 3-pointer against Thunder

8. Pelicans-Rockets nearly had a very screwed-up ending (video)

Mar 26, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT

Anthony Davis, Alexis Ajinca, James Harden Anthony Davis, Alexis Ajinca, James Harden

Referees miss blatant out of bounds call, clock momentarily stops before restarting

9. NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend

Mar 26, 2015, 9:47 AM EDT

Northeastern v Notre Dame Getty Images

The best matchup of the weekend may be Jakob Poeltl vs. Jahlil Okafor.

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches