Jul 13, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Since losing LeBron James, Heat President Pat Riley has been aggressive in putting together what in the East should be a playoff team, a good team, led by two passing and floor-spacing big men in Chris Bosh and Josh McRoberts.
But they need a small forward to fill James’ slot, and they are still trying to make that Luol Deng.
Those negotiations were hot and heavy Saturday and will pick up again Sunday reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
The Heat, sources say, want to do a two-year deal with Deng in the $20 million range to team him with the freshly re-signed Chris Bosh and soon-to-be-reupped Dwyane Wade. Sources say it’s possible Wade’s looming deal with the Heat might not be finalized until next week while negotiations with Deng continue.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports has pretty much those same details.
The question is money — remember Deng turned down three years, $30 million from the Bulls. He wants more than $10 million a year and so far nobody is going there.
Both the Dallas Mavericks and Atlanta Hawks — two teams that have quietly had good off-seasons — are trying to get in on Deng too. The Hawks would be an interesting fit. Remember Atlanta was the third best team in the East until Al Horford went down, and a front line of Horford, Paul Millsap and Deng with Jeff Teague and Kyle Korver in the backcourt could do some damage in the East. However, some reports say talks with Atlanta have died down, and money is likely the reason.
The other team trying to get in the Deng running that also would be an interesting fit is Phoenix — he would bring them defense and his scrappy scoring style fits with their offense and deep backcourt.
Deng’s agent would be wise to try and get these teams into a bidding war (and try to get more years), but if he will not settle for what the market seems to offer this could drag out.
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 6
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 11
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 5
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1