It’s official: Carmelo Anthony announces he will remain face of New York Knicks

Jul 13, 2014, 12:36 PM EST

Utah Jazz v New York Knicks Getty Images

“At the end of the day that’s my first priority, to stay. That’s my first priority. My priority is to figure it out, let’s figure it out together… I came to New York, and I said it before, I wanted to retire a Knick. That’s not something I would bull—- with, I said it, I meant it.”
Carmelo Anthony, speaking to PBT at All-Star Game

A lot happened since Anthony said that back in February: The Knicks stacked up losses like a child does legos and missed the playoffs, the Knicks turned the franchise keys over to Phil Jackson, and then Anthony met with Jackson as well as representatives from the Lakers, Bulls, Rockets and Mavericks to be recruited as a free agent.

But in the end Carmelo Anthony came back to the Knicks, making it official on his Web site Sunday morning. Here is the statement from his Web site.

“A few years ago I dreamed of coming back to New York City, the place of my birth, and on February 23, 2011 that became a reality. This organization has supported me and in return, I want to stay and build here with this city and my team. At this pivotal juncture in my career, I owed it to myself and my family to explore all of the options available to me. Through it all, my heart never wavered.

“During this journey I met with some quality organizations who have amazing talent and leadership. I thank them for their consideration, belief in my talent, and opportunity to imagine the possibilities.

“I will always remember this chapter in my life. In the end, I am a New York Knick at heart. I am looking forward to continue my career in Orange & Blue and to work with Phil Jackson, a champion who builds championship teams. Madison Square Garden is the mecca of basketball and I am surrounded by the greatest fans in the world.”

Anthony was always able to get more money in New York and that was going to be part of the attraction. The Bulls certainly offered a better chance to win right now, but Anthony would have had to leave more than $40 million on the table to do it.

What Anthony wanted from the Knicks was a plan, a path to contending. They gave him Phil Jackson. That was enough (and if Jackson can keep James Dolan away from basketball decisions he’s worth the $12 million a year).

More than that, it was New York that Anthony could not leave.

He grew up a Knicks fans and he fought to get traded here. His wife loves New York. He likes raising his children there.

And he likes being the face of the Knicks — it is a passionate and smart fan base that gets the game and appreciates effort and skill. They can be harsh, they want to win and be entertained, but they are a special group. The energy in Madison Square Garden before a Knicks game is unlike anything else in basketball.

For likely the rest of his career, Anthony will be the face of that. Which has always been what he wanted most.

Latest Posts
  1. Giannis Antetokounmpo sprains ankle, leaves Bucks game not to return

Dec 17, 2014, 11:46 PM EST

Milwaukee Bucks v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

He walked off under his own power but did not return.

2. Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade

Dec 17, 2014, 11:33 PM EST

Boston Celtics v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Rockets, Kings and Knicks also reportedly inquiring about Celtics point guard

3. Adam Silver says Charlotte hosting All-Star Game is inevitable

Dec 17, 2014, 10:25 PM EST

Adam Silver AP

In related news, Hornets got a ton of public funding to upgrade arena

4. Greg Monroe’s agent says he does not want a trade from Pistons

Dec 17, 2014, 7:39 PM EST

Detroit Pistons v Orlando Magic Getty Images

The offers are not going to be big, will Stan Van Gundy eventually give in and take one?

5. Now what for Milwaukee Bucks? For rookie of the year race?

Dec 17, 2014, 5:31 PM EST

Jabari Parker AP

There are no good answers for the Bucks, or for other rookies to reward.

6. Kings owner says Malone fired because Kings now need “jazz director”

Dec 17, 2014, 4:03 PM EST

Oklahoma City at Sacramento Oklahoma City at Sacramento

The Kings roster is poorly suited right now for the style the owner wants to play.

7. Report: Pistons asked for Kyle Korver and Jeff Teague in discussing Greg Monroe trade with Hawks

Dec 17, 2014, 2:30 PM EST

Greg Monroe AP

Portland also reportedly tried to trade for Monroe before he signed the one-year qualifying offer to stay in Detroit.

8. Isaiah Austin gets added as a player in NBA 2K15 video game

Dec 17, 2014, 1:50 PM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptg2mzfkyty1yze1ntrjmmmwogrlmge3mdezmdqzmwfk AP

Former Baylor University center was expected to be drafted, but was diagnosed with a disease that prematurely ended his chances of playing in the NBA.

9. Dwyane Wade gets poked in the eye by referee, then flops (VIDEO)

Dec 17, 2014, 1:10 PM EST

Dwyane Wade AP

Wade has a reputation of being a flopper, and appeared to exaggerate the contact from the official.

10. Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony

Dec 17, 2014, 12:30 PM EST

Dallas Mavericks v New York Knicks Getty Images

He pities ‘Melo because a real competitor is suffering through a lot of losing.

11. Cavaliers’ Kevin Love a game-time decision Wednesday vs. Hawks

Dec 17, 2014, 11:50 AM EST

Atlanta Hawks v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

Love is suffering from the dreaded flu-like symptoms.

12. Kings retire Peja Stojakovic’s jersey (VIDEO)

Dec 17, 2014, 10:30 AM EST

Peja Stokakovicof Peja Stokakovicof

Peja was a three-time All-Star, and a member of the only good team Sacramento has had in its franchise history.

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches