It’s official: Carmelo Anthony announces he will remain face of New York Knicks

Jul 13, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT

Utah Jazz v New York Knicks Getty Images

“At the end of the day that’s my first priority, to stay. That’s my first priority. My priority is to figure it out, let’s figure it out together… I came to New York, and I said it before, I wanted to retire a Knick. That’s not something I would bull—- with, I said it, I meant it.”
Carmelo Anthony, speaking to PBT at All-Star Game

A lot happened since Anthony said that back in February: The Knicks stacked up losses like a child does legos and missed the playoffs, the Knicks turned the franchise keys over to Phil Jackson, and then Anthony met with Jackson as well as representatives from the Lakers, Bulls, Rockets and Mavericks to be recruited as a free agent.

But in the end Carmelo Anthony came back to the Knicks, making it official on his Web site Sunday morning. Here is the statement from his Web site.

“A few years ago I dreamed of coming back to New York City, the place of my birth, and on February 23, 2011 that became a reality. This organization has supported me and in return, I want to stay and build here with this city and my team. At this pivotal juncture in my career, I owed it to myself and my family to explore all of the options available to me. Through it all, my heart never wavered.

“During this journey I met with some quality organizations who have amazing talent and leadership. I thank them for their consideration, belief in my talent, and opportunity to imagine the possibilities.

“I will always remember this chapter in my life. In the end, I am a New York Knick at heart. I am looking forward to continue my career in Orange & Blue and to work with Phil Jackson, a champion who builds championship teams. Madison Square Garden is the mecca of basketball and I am surrounded by the greatest fans in the world.”

Anthony was always able to get more money in New York and that was going to be part of the attraction. The Bulls certainly offered a better chance to win right now, but Anthony would have had to leave more than $40 million on the table to do it.

What Anthony wanted from the Knicks was a plan, a path to contending. They gave him Phil Jackson. That was enough (and if Jackson can keep James Dolan away from basketball decisions he’s worth the $12 million a year).

More than that, it was New York that Anthony could not leave.

He grew up a Knicks fans and he fought to get traded here. His wife loves New York. He likes raising his children there.

And he likes being the face of the Knicks — it is a passionate and smart fan base that gets the game and appreciates effort and skill. They can be harsh, they want to win and be entertained, but they are a special group. The energy in Madison Square Garden before a Knicks game is unlike anything else in basketball.

For likely the rest of his career, Anthony will be the face of that. Which has always been what he wanted most.

Latest Posts
  1. Dion Waiters explains tweet saying he wouldn’t accept bench role

Jul 30, 2014, 1:30 AM EDT

2013 Cleveland Cavaliers Media Day 2013 Cleveland Cavaliers Media Day

Cavaliers guard says initial response stemmed from his straightforward approach, confidence

2. NBA considering charity All-Star game in South Africa

Jul 30, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT

Nelson Mandela Nelson Mandela

Collective Bargaining Agreement limits offseason charity games to United States and Canada

3. Report: Gregg Popovich had hip-replacement surgery

Jul 29, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Five Getty Images

Popovich signed contract extension with Spurs this offseason

4. Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold

Jul 29, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT

Image (1) durant_usa_fun-thumb-250x159-20234.jpg for post 4140

“That 2010 team was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. I think we have a team that’s even better.” —Kevin Durant

5. Report: Magic signing Peyton Siva to unguaranteed contract

Jul 29, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT

Detroit Pistons v Orlando Magic Detroit Pistons v Orlando Magic

Orlando reportedly plans to send former Pistons point guard to D-League

6. Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did.

Jul 29, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT

2014 USA Basketball Men's National Team Practice Getty Images

“I just tell everybody that I’m here in Oklahoma City, I love it here. Who knows what will happen.” —Kevin Durant on his 2016 free agency.

7. Report: Eric Bledsoe-Suns ‘relationship is on the express lane to being ruined’

Jul 29, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT

Eric Bledsoe, Jeff Hornacek, Goran Dragic Eric Bledsoe, Jeff Hornacek, Goran Dragic

Bledsoe reportedly resents how differently Pistons, Jazz and Rockets treated their restricted free agents

8. Report: Mike Scott considering ‘lucrative’ offer to play in Russia

Jul 29, 2014, 6:22 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Indiana Pacers - Game Seven Getty Images

CSKA-Moscow wants to poach Scott from Atlanta Hawks

9. Mavericks sign Ivan Johnson

Jul 29, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Atlanta Hawks Dallas Mavericks v Atlanta Hawks

Johnson gets NBA contract after eventful summer league

10. Report: Timberwolves told Kevin Love to sit out the World Cup

Jul 29, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT

Kevin Love Kevin Love

I’m not sure Love is taking advice from Minnesota right now

11. Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable

Jul 29, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Introduce Byron Scott Getty Images

Lakers introduce Scott as new coach in press conference

12. Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy”

Jul 29, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT

2014 USA Basketball Men's National Team Practice Getty Images

Rose said he was disappointed but he understands ‘Melo’s decision.

13. LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video)

Jul 29, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

LeBron James LeBron James

Want to see LeBron strip down to his underwear?

14. Steve Nash: ‘I think this is my last season’

Jul 29, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT

Steve Nash, Meta World Peace Steve Nash, Meta World Peace

Lakers guard confirms he’s planning on retirement

15. PBT Extra: Is this the end of Donald Sterling as NBA owner?

Jul 29, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT

Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano

Donald Sterling isn’t going away, but he’s pretty much done as the Clippers owner now.

16. Grizzlies name general manager Chris Wallace general manager

Jul 29, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT

Yes, you read that headline correctly

17. Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on?

Jul 29, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT

DeMarcus Cousins AP

The question with Cousins is never talent, but his maturity seems to be there.

18. Report: Gary Payton assistant-coaching candidate with Lakers, Bucks

Jul 29, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT

Gary Payton #20 Gary Payton #20

Jason Kidd or Byron Scott could hire former Seattle SuperSonic

19. Kyrie Irving’s contract actually falls short of max

Jul 29, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT

Kyrie Irving Kyrie Irving

Irving wouldn’t get full 30 percent of adjusted salary cap by triggering Derrick Rose rule

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches