Jul 13, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
From even before LeBron James made his homecoming to Cleveland official, the rumors were swirling (if you listened to Cleveland talk radio it was already done) — Kevin Love was going to be traded to the Cavaliers to team up with James and Kyrie Irving. Love is good with this idea. Dan Gilbert forms his own big three.
But there is no way Flip Saunders of Minnesota is sending Love to Cleveland without no. 1 pick Andrew Wiggins coming back the other way. Buzz around the league is it most likely takes Wiggins, a couple future first round picks and another player (not Anthony Bennett, more like Dion Waiters) to get a deal done.
However, Cleveland has no plans (so far) to throw Wiggins in the mix. New Cavs coach Dave Blatt said so Saturday in Las Vegas, as reported by ESPN:
“There’s no reason or cause for worry on his part because Andrew’s not going anywhere, as far as I know and as far as the club has expressed,” Blatt told reporters Saturday following the Cavaliers’ Summer League practice in Las Vegas.
How much of that is posturing remains to be seen.
Flip Saunders is willing to play the long game and let Love’s agents and time put pressure on other teams to up their offers. The Warriors still refuse to put Klay Thompson in a deal, now Wiggins with the Cavaliers. Saunders can wait them and everyone else out at this point. He has the best asset in these mixes.
To me, if you’re Cleveland and you really want to have a title shot for the next five years (at least) you throw Wiggins in the mix and get Love. Wiggins could turn out to be special, but we already know Love is with a special player with a skill set hard to match — a sharpshooting big man who is a beast on the boards. You need to put a good defensive center next to him, but Love is an elite talent. Maybe Wiggins will be that someday. (I feel the same way about Golden State not throwing Thompson in the mix.)
But for now Cleveland holds firm — no Wiggins. And Minnesota waits.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 32
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 30
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 4
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 36
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 10