Jul 12, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Luol Deng is an All-Star small forward and there aren’t many places he could land where he would be a downgrade at the position.
Miami is one of them.
Yet he is a fit — the Heat need a three and they have some cap room. So Pat Riley has gone hard after Deng and appears to be making progress, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
The Rockets had been targeting Deng but that appears dead.
A lineup of Norris Cole (or Shabazz Napier), Dwyane Wade, Luol Deng, Josh McRoberts and Chris Bosh would be both entertaining and would put up some points. That’s two bigs who can space the floor and move the ball, guys who work off the ball and some interesting matchup problems. Not a lot of defense but they should score.
That’s a playoff lineup in the East.
Deng is a very strong defender who scores plenty of points as a third scoring option — he’s a good role man and gets hustle points in transition or working off the ball.
There are a lot of questions to be answered in Miami, things are certainly not going to be the same anymore. But with Deng in the fold along with Wade and Bosh, this is a team worth buying a ticket to see.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 19
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28