Pau Gasol tweets he has chosen to play for Bulls. Only question is will it be sign-and-trade or not.
Jul 12, 2014, 6:41 PM EDT
The only question is what road everyone takes to get there.
Pau Gasol took to twitter to make his announcement on Saturday.
This has been expected for about 24 hours — the Bulls offer the best combination of being able to pay Gasol more than mid-level exception money as well as being a contending team. Teams like the Spurs and Thunder both came after Gasol hard but couldn’t offer as much money. Plus the Bulls being in a major metropolitan area doesn’t hurt with the cultured, Barcelona-raised Gasol.
The Bulls and Lakers have been working on a sign-and-trade package to bring Gasol to the Bulls on a multiyear contract that starts at approximately $10 million a year, league sources told Yahoo Sports. If a sign-and-trade doesn’t come together, the Bulls will sign Gasol to a multiyear deal with a salary starting in the $6.5 million-a-year range, sources said.
The Bulls don’t want to amnesty Boozer — they still have to pay him, he’s just not on the official books — so they have tried to work out a trade but the Lakers but they have struggled to come to a deal.
The Bulls would need to amnesty Boozer to sign both Gasol and heralded European star Nikola Mirotic (one of the best players overseas).
One way or another, it will get done. Gasol is not Carmelo Anthony — the guy a lot of Bulls fans held out hope for — but he is an upgrade over Carlos Boozer. Gasol is a smart player who can be the fulcrum of the offense from the elbow or can score in the post. He’s a gifted passer and has a midrange jumper. He’s not a great defender, but he’s better than Boozer. Don’t let how Mike D’Antoni misused him fool you, he’s getting older but is still a quality big man, and he averaged 17.4 points and 9.7 rebounds a game last season. Bottom line is he’s an upgrade in Chicago.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 49
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 35
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18