Pau Gasol tweets he has chosen to play for Bulls. Only question is will it be sign-and-trade or not.
Jul 12, 2014, 6:41 PM EDT
The only question is what road everyone takes to get there.
Pau Gasol took to twitter to make his announcement on Saturday.
This has been expected for about 24 hours — the Bulls offer the best combination of being able to pay Gasol more than mid-level exception money as well as being a contending team. Teams like the Spurs and Thunder both came after Gasol hard but couldn’t offer as much money. Plus the Bulls being in a major metropolitan area doesn’t hurt with the cultured, Barcelona-raised Gasol.
The Bulls and Lakers have been working on a sign-and-trade package to bring Gasol to the Bulls on a multiyear contract that starts at approximately $10 million a year, league sources told Yahoo Sports. If a sign-and-trade doesn’t come together, the Bulls will sign Gasol to a multiyear deal with a salary starting in the $6.5 million-a-year range, sources said.
The Bulls don’t want to amnesty Boozer — they still have to pay him, he’s just not on the official books — so they have tried to work out a trade but the Lakers but they have struggled to come to a deal.
The Bulls would need to amnesty Boozer to sign both Gasol and heralded European star Nikola Mirotic (one of the best players overseas).
One way or another, it will get done. Gasol is not Carmelo Anthony — the guy a lot of Bulls fans held out hope for — but he is an upgrade over Carlos Boozer. Gasol is a smart player who can be the fulcrum of the offense from the elbow or can score in the post. He’s a gifted passer and has a midrange jumper. He’s not a great defender, but he’s better than Boozer. Don’t let how Mike D’Antoni misused him fool you, he’s getting older but is still a quality big man, and he averaged 17.4 points and 9.7 rebounds a game last season. Bottom line is he’s an upgrade in Chicago.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30