Jul 11, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
I mean that in the most literal sense. The Lakers are acquiring players.
None of this is inspiring.
So is Jordan Hill, who’ll stay with the Lakers next season because they’re giving him a lot of money.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Free agent forward Jordan Hill has agreed to a two-year, $18M deal to return to the Los Angeles Lakers, agent Kevin Bradbury tells Yahoo.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 11, 2014
I’m just waiting for Wojnarowski to add that he had a typo on the dollars or years. That’s seems like a huge amount of money to give Hill.
Then again, he averaged 9.7 points and 7.4 rebounds in just 20.8 minutes per game last season.
The only other players who’ve averaged as many points and rebounds per 36 minutes as Hill had this season while playing at least 60 games since the NBA-ABA merger:
- Dwight Howard
- Moses Malone
- Robert Parish
- DeMarcus Cousins
- Kevin Love
- Hakeem Olajuwon
- Kevin Willis
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
- Charles Barkley
- Artis Gilmore
- Shawn Kemp
- Bill Laimbeer
- Swen Nater
- Shaquille O’Neal
- Roy Tarpley
- Bill Walton
Most of that list is in or will be in the Basketball Hall of Fame.
How did Hill join such elite company?
I think it’s partially Mike D’Antoni’s up-tempo system giving all players more opportunities to accumulate stats. I think it’s partially the Lakers, with Pau Gasol sleepwalking through the season, lacking another somewhat-dependable inside presence.
And it’s also Hill, who deserve credit for his production. How much will determine whether this contract pays off for the Lakers.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 44
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 60
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59