Jul 11, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
Jeff Hornacek is going to go small next year. Apparently.
The Phoenix Suns already have third team All-NBA player Goran Dragic under contract and have promised to match any offer for Eric Bledsoe (which has yet to come). Behind them they have promising rookie Tyler Ennis, breakout star Gerald Green, and Archie Goodwin.
And pretty soon Isaiah Thomas.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports broke the story and Sam Amick of the USA Today adds details
The Kings didn’t have a lot of leverage in this sign-and-trade because they had no intention of matching the offer. While the Kings brain trust was divided on Thomas’ worth, the people with the power were done with him — they didn’t want him to start and Thomas is tired of feeling jerked around in Sacramento. The era of the Pizza Guy ads are done and that makes me sad.
For the Suns, getting Thomas at basically $7 million a year is a good deal — he is small and lightning quick, he averaged 20 points a game with a very efficient .574 true shooting percentage because he can get to the rim and he knocks down shots. He’s not helping on defense much, to be fair. Now the Suns have some real trade assets available if they want. In the short term, they go small and it’s going to be entertaining to watch the Suns. (Plus they still have cap space and are expected to make a run at Luol Deng and others. They need to replace what Channing Frye brought.)
The Kings… this is confusing, honestly. If you have doubts about Thomas’ ceiling I can understand that but that is still a fair price considering the production. Thomas has done nothing but beat out every guy brought in to take his job, and somehow that pissed off someone in Sacramento, I guess. Their off-season has been haphazard, not sure what they are trying to build.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49