Jul 11, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
2. Convince Bosh to stay with the Heat.
3. Convince Dwyane Wade to re-sign, too.
Now Riley can check off step 2 as well and move onto step three.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Bosh’s exact max is $118,705,300. I bet he gets every penny.
But with Bosh, Wade and plenty of cap room to upgrade the supporting cast, Miami should be a playoff team next season. As long as Riley doesn’t lowball Wade, the Heat are in good shape.The Heat face competition from Chicago, but I can’t see them losing Wade now. Obviously, though, how much they’re willing to pay Wade will play a huge factor.
The Rockets, who’ve already traded Jeremy Lin to the Lakers and agreed to trade Omer Asik to the Pelicans (a deal will actually might happen), will still have cap room to pursue free agents until they must match Chandler Parsons’ offer sheet Sunday. Or they’ll have plenty of cap room beyond Sunday if they let Parsons go to Dallas.
Either way, Houston isn’t done yet. Bosh isn’t coming, and Carmelo Anthony is reportedly deciding between the Knicks and Bulls, so the top targets are off the market. But the Rockets could still push for other free agents like Luol Deng and Trevor Ariza or even restricted free agents like Eric Bledsoe and Greg Monroe.
Still, I wonder, does Daryl Morey regret using a first rounder to dump Lin when it didn’t even result in Bosh?
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 30
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20