LeBron James implies Dan Gilbert’s letter was a mistake, but absolves Cavaliers owner

Jul 11, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT

LeBron James is headed back to the Cleveland Cavaliers, something that not long ago seemed impossible.

Chief among the reasons that move seemed unlikely: Dan Gilbert’s letter. Even today, it appeared to be an issue.

But LeBron has moved on.

LeBron, via Lee Jenkins of Sports Illustrated:

To make the move I needed the support of my wife and my mom, who can be very tough. The letter from Dan Gilbert, the booing of the Cleveland fans, the jerseys being burned — seeing all that was hard for them. My emotions were more mixed. It was easy to say, “OK, I don’t want to deal with these people ever again.” But then you think about the other side. What if I were a kid who looked up to an athlete, and that athlete made me want to do better in my own life, and then he left? How would I react? I’ve met with Dan, face-to-face, man-to-man. We’ve talked it out. Everybody makes mistakes. I’ve made mistakes as well. Who am I to hold a grudge?

I found it interesting LeBron expressed sympathy toward Ohio children, considering Gilbert’s letter said, “This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown ‘chosen one’ sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And ‘who’ we would want them to grow-up to become.”

I don’t know whether it’s intentional, but LeBron also comes close to equating Gilbert’s reaction to how a child would react. Then again, LeBron also doesn’t technically call the letter a mistake – though it’s strongly implied.

Alas, LeBron has dropped the issue – and good for him. Grudges aren’t healthy and usually aren’t worth holding.

Latest Posts
  1. 67RIEFNS: Lance Stephenson on the loose

Oct 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers

Is Stephenson ready for responsibility that comes with going from Pacers to Hornets?

2. Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson

Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Tristan Thompson Tristan Thompson

It might be because short of an insane offer of a max deal, Thompson would rather take his chances as a restricted free agent next summer.

3. Kings’ Ray McCallum sinks put-back at the buzzer to beat Lakers

Oct 25, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Ray McCallum AP

Nice job of McCallum to stay active on a play where he had already missed a shot.

4. 67RIEFNS: Isaiah Thomas vs. Sacramento Kings

Oct 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings

Will Thomas make Kings regret choosing Darren Collison over him?

5. Thunder’s Anthony Morrow to miss 4-6 weeks with knee sprain

Oct 25, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT

Grizzlies vs Thunder Grizzlies vs Thunder

Thunder will be very short-handed the first month of the regular season.

6. Player intentionally makes shot in own basket in attempt to force overtime

Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

And it was probably the smartest possible play

7. 67RIEFNS: K.J. McDaniels testing the second-round system

Oct 24, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT

2014 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot Getty Images

76ers forwent any guaranteed salary to hit free agency sooner

8. Why I am going to miss Steve Nash

Oct 24, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT

steve-nash-getty Getty Images

Nash was everything we want as a fan in an NBA player.

9. 67RIEFNS No. 34: JaVale McGee doing JaVale McGee things

Oct 24, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets Media Day Denver Nuggets Media Day

The NBA is full of talent, personality and suspense. During the offseason, It’s easy to forget how wonderful the league can be. So, I’ve assembled 67 Reasons I’m Excited For Next Season (67RIEFNS). They’ll be presented in no particular order. JaVale McGee played just five games last year after injuring his leg. How did we…

10. 67RIEFNS No. 33: Emotional swings of Roy Hibbert

Oct 24, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers Media Day 2014 Indiana Pacers Media Day 2014

Pacers center filling huge role after last season’s great start, big collapse

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches