Jul 11, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
The NBA considered Lamar Odom damaged goods even through Phil Jackson signing his former player to the Knicks.
He’s also struggled on the court the last couple years, and few 34-year-olds produce better as they age.
There was a lot to overcome.
Unfortunately, Odom won’t get that chance in New York.
It’s not clear whether Odom failed to meet on-court or off-court standards, though the wording certainly implies the latter.
The Knicks expected Odom to make the roster in the fall, and though I’m hardly sold on his ability to play at this point, it would have been difficult for him to prove at this time of year he couldn’t produce. I think basketball would have become an issue for Odom, whose fully unguaranteed contract woul have become guaranteed Sept. 11, but it’s hard to see basketball being the issue here.
If there were off-court problems, we’ll probably hear more about them soon. By marrying Khloe Kardashian, Odom opened himself to more exposure. Their divorce won’t stop prying entertainment writers from joining NBA writers trying to get to the bottom of this.
Likely, this ends Odom’s career. Hopefully, at least his life is in order.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 1
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 26
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 16
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15