Cavaliers head coach David Blatt discusses return of LeBron James (VIDEO)

Jul 11, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT

LAS VEGAS – New Cavaliers head coach David Blatt is in Las Vegas to coach Cleveland’s Summer League team, and met with the media before Friday’s main event — a game featuring a matchup of the top two overall picks in the draft in Cleveland’s Andrew Wiggins and Milwaukee’s Jabari Parker.

The topic of conversation, obviously, wasn’t about his debut as an NBA head coach. Instead, it was about LeBron James choosing to return to the Cavaliers in free agency — an occurrence that couldn’t have left Blatt any more excited.

“To say that I’m excited and happy would probably qualify as one of the great understatements of the millennium,” Blatt said. “I was in practice this morning, and in the middle of the practice, someone let out a shriek — and I understood it wasn’t because of the weather, and realized that something special has happened.”

Check out the rest of Blatt’s remarks in the video clip above, via CSNNW.com.

1. antistratfordian - Jul 11, 2014 at 9:47 PM

If Blatt’s eyes got any closer he’d be a cyclops.

• fanofthegame79 - Jul 11, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Damn if I didn’t thumb you down, just to go back up and re-examine him….and you’re right. That’s not nice, but still right.

• antistratfordian - Jul 11, 2014 at 10:47 PM

It’s only unkind if you do not respect the Cyclops race, but I’ve respected them ever since I first watched Krull.

• fanofthegame79 - Jul 11, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Krull is a very underrated movie.

• fanofthegame79 - Jul 11, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Nope, my bad, I meant Kull the Conqueror. That’s an underrated movie.

• antistratfordian - Jul 11, 2014 at 11:01 PM

No, you were right. Krull is also underrated.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 12, 2014 at 2:19 AM

Anti…

I’m not trying to be mean, but google (Images)/YouTube Alice the Goon (Popeye) and come back and tell me I’m not dead on.

• antistratfordian - Jul 12, 2014 at 2:23 AM

lol. yeah, you’re trying to be mean. that’s spot on.

• apkyletexas - Jul 12, 2014 at 3:14 AM

I’m not seeing it. Two eyes with a bridge of a nose in the middle. Am I missing something? You guys live somewhere that people have an extra bit of cheek or a few teeth beside that nose bridge there?

2. csbanter - Jul 11, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Who can honestly say they’re not jealous of the Cavs tonight ? Ok I’m not talking to Spurs fans , but everything is just pointing in the right direction for Cleveland..Good for them.

3. 00maltliquor - Jul 11, 2014 at 9:55 PM

The only downfall, for me at least, with LBJ coming back is now we will never know exactly how good Blatt really is, and he was the really intriguing coaching hire this offseason. Bron will make anyone look amazing at their job.

• Gordon - Jul 11, 2014 at 10:12 PM

That’s a great point. LBJ has made the coaches he’s played for look like HOF’ers. Look at Mike Brown…he got exposed without LBJ. Miami will now see how good Spoelstra really is.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 11, 2014 at 10:25 PM

He made Mike Brown Coach of the Year. LOOL

• fanofthegame79 - Jul 11, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Yes but the Heat will be better than most people think, they’ll still have Bosh and Wade and a fair amount of money to chase some quality players. Most reports I’m reading say that Deng is pretty much looking at Miami exclusively right now. Ariza is another player on their radar, so they have options. And, ya never know, if they Heat earned a favorable slot in the playoffs, they may have an easy road back to the ECF….maybe even the Finals (very long shot, imo).

• BrownsTown - Jul 11, 2014 at 10:49 PM

For what it’s worth, Brown always struggled to put together a real offense when he had LeBron. It was freelancing.

• nickjackalson - Jul 12, 2014 at 5:17 AM

I may be wrong, but didn´t miami already know what they had in spoelstra before signing james?

Blatt will expose a lot of nba coaches, just watch
        though having the players he has undenably helps a lot

they will reach the finals, love or no love
        and I´d rather keep Wiggins anyway
        (along with the money&flexibility)

• campcouch - Jul 11, 2014 at 10:17 PM

it depends on if he actually runs an offense and defense. Brown and Spo were good at saying “go play” and even making small adjustments at the half, but it was hard to tell what kind of scheme beyond “Superstar(s) go create”, they employed.

• antistratfordian - Jul 11, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Well you can’t say that to Cavs fans because by 2010 Brown was not looking good offensively at all. And his rotations made no sense and frustrated the bejesus out of the fan base. I believe you experienced something similar on the Lakers.

If Blatt is good, we should be able to tell (just by doing less things that make you scratch your head). Now, that doesn’t mean he’ll get any credit from the public.

I’m starting off skeptical. I don’t know much about him, but I’m not the biggest Euro-ball fan, even though it’s all the rage right now.

• fanofthegame79 - Jul 11, 2014 at 10:44 PM

I just saw something by Blatt in the summer league that made me happy – he fouled on the last play when they were only up by 2, so the Bucks didn’t even have a chance to shoot a 3. It’s a smart strategy that’s not employed more often, and I’m glad he went with it in his first opportunity coaching in the NBA.

• antistratfordian - Jul 11, 2014 at 10:51 PM

I just saw that too and I thought of Pop and him answering a question about that after Game 6. Maybe you remember it – where he said, “That’s a European question, right?”

• fanofthegame79 - Jul 11, 2014 at 11:07 PM

No, I don’t remember that specifically, but he appears to have been correct.

• antistratfordian - Jul 11, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Someone asked why he didn’t foul on the Heat’s last possession in regulation of Game 6.

“That’s a European question, right? They usually do in Italy. We don’t.”

• fanofthegame79 - Jul 12, 2014 at 12:06 AM

It works.

4. prareedoggin - Jul 11, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Who?

5. thenmoveback - Jul 11, 2014 at 10:30 PM

@gordon Spo brought the heat to several playoff seasons before the big 3, when Riles was tanking waiting for Lebron to become a FA. He is a proven coach in this league.

• Gordon - Jul 11, 2014 at 10:45 PM

If by “several”, you mean “2”, then you are correct. They were bounced in the 1st round both times. Remember how bad the East has been during the seasons prior to 2010…for a little perspective. He’s not a bad coach, but getting to the playoffs & getting bounced in the 1st round is not a great achievement in the East.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 11, 2014 at 11:14 PM

so basically without LeBron he’s Mike Woodson?

6. Observer157 - Jul 12, 2014 at 8:15 AM

You guys are clueless about how good Spoelstra is. Before the Big3 he inherited a team with the worst record in the league the year prior. Them with the SAME bad roster he made the Heat a playoff team in 1 season. Spoelstra is one of the 3 best coaches in the league.

7. onlyavoice - Jul 12, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Pacers vs Heat 2015 NBA ECF’s
    Cavs are a joke without Lebron & will be bounced in the 1st or 2nd round with him.
    Love is NOT going to Cleveland, No One good will, it’ll be the same as before,
    then Lebron will bolt again.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches