Jul 10, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
First-round picks count against a team’s cap at the rookie-scale amount, a prescribed salary based on pick number, until one of three things happens:
- They sign a contract. Then they count at their actual salary, which is usually 120 percent of scale.
- They get renounced. This has happened just once – the Bulls with Travis Knight in 1996.
- They sign a letter pledging not to join the NBA for a year. Then, they come off the cap completely for that year.
The Suns have convinced Bogdan Bogdanovic, whom they drafted No. 27, to take the third option.
Mark Deeks of ShamSports.com:
Suns and Bogdan Bogdanovic have agreed in writing that he will not join this season, therefore his cap hold for the 2015 season is expunged.—
Mark Deeks (@MarkDeeksNBA) July 10, 2014
Likely, the Suns knew Bogdanovic would sign this letter when they drafted him. They might have even chosen him over prospects they rated higher in a vacuum because he signed this letter.
They also just drafted T.J. Warren and Tyler Ennis, adding two rookies to an already young roster. Players need minutes to grow, and playing time is already tight in the desert. By adding Bogdanovic later, Phoenix can stager its developmental burden.
The Suns couldn’t trade the No. 27 for a future first rounder as they desired, but this essentially gets them the same result.
Jul 28, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski said Derrick Rose looked healthy at Tea USA training camp.
Jul 28, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
Donald Sterling’s right to appeal restricted, a pivotal and unexpected ruling
Jul 28, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
Williams didn’t get quite the payday he was expecting as an unrestricted free agent.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
The USA has superior athletes and should use that to their advantage.
Jul 28, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
Derrick Rose seems to be moving and playing like the Derrick Rose of old.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
Thaddeus Young is not Kevin Love but he’d keep the Timberwolves from going into full rebuild mode.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT
Wade may be looking forward to going up against LeBron, but I don’t think he’s going to like how the game ends.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
Ron Artest made a brief appearance on a rec league court in Los Angeles.
Jul 28, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
When the game’s best player makes a uniform change, manufacturers spring into immediate action.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
LeBron said when switching to 6 four years ago that no one should wear 23 out of respect to MJ.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
Insert your own “he only jumped over Lowry” jokes, we’re not going to do that.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT
Rose is expected to make the roster, but will need to shake the rust off quickly to show he’s more deserving than the other elite guards in camp.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT
“The fact that I haven’t been traded yet makes me feel comfortable.” —Klay Thompson
Jul 28, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
Because he could.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
The league won’t let it get to that point.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Scott was historically bad at coaching defense in three seasons with the Cavaliers.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
After all the players shifts this summer, the top three teams in the power rankings remain unchanged from the last one lst year.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:04 AM EDT
Lance letting us know where his loyalties lie.
Jul 27, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
The 2015 Slam Dunk Contest champion might have already been decided.
Jul 27, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
At least he has an injury.
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 0
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 13
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 21
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 21
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 7
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 64