Jul 10, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
First-round picks count against a team’s cap at the rookie-scale amount, a prescribed salary based on pick number, until one of three things happens:
- They sign a contract. Then they count at their actual salary, which is usually 120 percent of scale.
- They get renounced. This has happened just once – the Bulls with Travis Knight in 1996.
- They sign a letter pledging not to join the NBA for a year. Then, they come off the cap completely for that year.
The Suns have convinced Bogdan Bogdanovic, whom they drafted No. 27, to take the third option.
Mark Deeks of ShamSports.com:
Suns and Bogdan Bogdanovic have agreed in writing that he will not join this season, therefore his cap hold for the 2015 season is expunged.—
Mark Deeks (@MarkDeeksNBA) July 10, 2014
Likely, the Suns knew Bogdanovic would sign this letter when they drafted him. They might have even chosen him over prospects they rated higher in a vacuum because he signed this letter.
They also just drafted T.J. Warren and Tyler Ennis, adding two rookies to an already young roster. Players need minutes to grow, and playing time is already tight in the desert. By adding Bogdanovic later, Phoenix can stager its developmental burden.
The Suns couldn’t trade the No. 27 for a future first rounder as they desired, but this essentially gets them the same result.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 3
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 15
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 4
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 46
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 36
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23