Jul 10, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
If the Houston Rockets are going to offer a max extension to Chris Bosh or match the $15 million a year offer sheet to Chandler Parsons, the Rockets really need to clear out cap space. That starts with trading Jeremy Lin and getting no money back (just picks). It is something the Rockets may need to do fast in the next three days (how long they have to match the Parsons’ offer sheet).
It has been reported the Rockets have a deal in place with the Sixers to take Lin (with an additional pick as a sweetner). It makes sense, Philadelphia has cap space to make the deal work.
However, an NBA source said the Sixers “remain an option [for Houston], but their cap space may prove too expensive.” The source also said they believe the Rockets have other options when it comes to moving Lin…
“We are active in conversations with a lot of teams and a lot of agents,” (Sixers GM Sam) Hinkie said. “Sometimes that leads to transactions and sometimes it doesn’t. It will be interesting to see how the next few days play out.”
Rockets GM Daryl Morey likely does have contingencies in place, we noted that the Bucks could be one such place.
But the Sixers were and remain the most logical landing spot and Hinkie is basically a draft pick hoarder and that is the sweetener the Rockets are offering. This is likely just a bit of posturing.
The question is when this deal might happen, the Rockets could be in a hurry in the next couple days.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29