Jul 10, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
If the Houston Rockets are going to offer a max extension to Chris Bosh or match the $15 million a year offer sheet to Chandler Parsons, the Rockets really need to clear out cap space. That starts with trading Jeremy Lin and getting no money back (just picks). It is something the Rockets may need to do fast in the next three days (how long they have to match the Parsons’ offer sheet).
It has been reported the Rockets have a deal in place with the Sixers to take Lin (with an additional pick as a sweetner). It makes sense, Philadelphia has cap space to make the deal work.
However, an NBA source said the Sixers “remain an option [for Houston], but their cap space may prove too expensive.” The source also said they believe the Rockets have other options when it comes to moving Lin…
“We are active in conversations with a lot of teams and a lot of agents,” (Sixers GM Sam) Hinkie said. “Sometimes that leads to transactions and sometimes it doesn’t. It will be interesting to see how the next few days play out.”
Rockets GM Daryl Morey likely does have contingencies in place, we noted that the Bucks could be one such place.
But the Sixers were and remain the most logical landing spot and Hinkie is basically a draft pick hoarder and that is the sweetener the Rockets are offering. This is likely just a bit of posturing.
The question is when this deal might happen, the Rockets could be in a hurry in the next couple days.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 12
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 21
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14