Jul 10, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
If the Houston Rockets are going to offer a max extension to Chris Bosh or match the $15 million a year offer sheet to Chandler Parsons, the Rockets really need to clear out cap space. That starts with trading Jeremy Lin and getting no money back (just picks). It is something the Rockets may need to do fast in the next three days (how long they have to match the Parsons’ offer sheet).
It has been reported the Rockets have a deal in place with the Sixers to take Lin (with an additional pick as a sweetner). It makes sense, Philadelphia has cap space to make the deal work.
However, an NBA source said the Sixers “remain an option [for Houston], but their cap space may prove too expensive.” The source also said they believe the Rockets have other options when it comes to moving Lin…
“We are active in conversations with a lot of teams and a lot of agents,” (Sixers GM Sam) Hinkie said. “Sometimes that leads to transactions and sometimes it doesn’t. It will be interesting to see how the next few days play out.”
Rockets GM Daryl Morey likely does have contingencies in place, we noted that the Bucks could be one such place.
But the Sixers were and remain the most logical landing spot and Hinkie is basically a draft pick hoarder and that is the sweetener the Rockets are offering. This is likely just a bit of posturing.
The question is when this deal might happen, the Rockets could be in a hurry in the next couple days.
- Cavs GM: It’s “highly unlikely” Kevin Love returns at all in playoffs, even if Cavs make Finals 0
- No Kevin Love, no J.R. Smith to start, how much trouble is Cleveland in? 2
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 4
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 9
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 25
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2