Jul 10, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
When the Raptors traded James Johnson for a second-round pick in 2012 – one year after acquiring him for a first-round pick – there were somewhat-conflicting explanations for the trade.
“James is a tremendous athlete who has a toughness you love,” said Raptors coach Dwane Casey. “With the abundance of wings we have, there would not have been enough minutes.”
The Raptors and Johnson did not see eye-to-eye over his role and at one point last season Johnson was benched by Casey for a pair of games after an undisclosed indiscretion, though the coach insisted that was not the reason he was moved.
“We had our moments like you’re always going to do,” Casey said. “All the great athletes, it doesn’t bother me whatsoever, but we just had a glut of wings. James would not have been happy in that situation, competing for those minutes from the start.
And, once again, they’ll have Johnson.
Doug Smith of The Toronto Star:
Late night we get Vasquez singing, early morning Raptors agree on two-year deal with former Raptor James Johnson, sources confirm—
Doug Smith: Raptors (@SmithRaps) July 10, 2014
Johnson had a fairly strong season in Memphis before being arrested for domestic assault in June. He pleaded not guilty, but the charge – including nasty allegations of slapping and choking his wife – likely lowered his stock in free agency.
It’s possible Johnson contributes to the Raptors, who probably didn’t need to extend a large contract offer given the circumstances. First, he must address this important issue in his personal life.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 8
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 46
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43