Jul 10, 2014, 12:08 AM EDT
Everybody thought Flip Saunders was under pressure to pull the trigger on a Kevin Love trade at the NBA Draft — from Love’s agent/camp to other teams there was a lot of work, which led to a lot of hype.
Saunders decided to wait.
Now out of Cleveland — where it just has been assumed for days that LeBron James returning was a done deal and fans have moved on to the next steps in their heads — comes the belief that once LeBron makes his (obvious to them) announcement a Kevin Love trade to Cleveland will follow closely behind.
But again, Saunders is going to be patent, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
A trade for Love would have to center around Andrew Wiggins, but the Timberwolves want more established players as well (remember they have wanted guys more like Taj Gibson and Klay Thompson). It’s not a simple deal.
Since the draft the plan in Minnesota has followed this logic: Once teams get strike one on LeBron and Carmelo Anthony, then get strike two on second wave of guys (maybe Chris Bosh, certainly Pau Gasol and Luol Deng) they will get desperate. That’s when teams will start to make better trade offers for Love.
Do the Warriors see Bosh added to the Rockets (or Anthony to the Lakers) and decide they need to make a big move and throw Klay Thompson in a deal after all? Maybe not the Warriors, maybe not that specific scenario, but the Timberwolves see something in that mold playing out and can sit back and wait for someone to make a better offer. they are not rushed.
This is what Masai Ujiri did in the Carmelo Anthony situation in Denver — wait and wait and wait until somebody gets desperate and makes a big offer (in this case it was James Dolan over the head of then Knicks’ GM Donnie Walsh). Saunders takes heart in that, and if he has to wait until the deadline he will.
Which could leave some frustrated people in Cleveland and other cities as he waits.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 9
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 20
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 12