Jul 10, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Jusuf Nurkic, the No. 16 pick in the 2014 NBA draft, won’t be spending another season in Europe as previously reported.
Nurkic, who was selected by the Bulls for the Nuggets, is headed to the Denver this summer.
David Pick of Eurobasket.com:
Jusuf Nurkic has opted-out of contract with Croatian club to join Denver. Buyout spread over two-seasons, I'm told.—
David Pick (@IAmDPick) July 10, 2014
The Nuggets can contribute $600,000 for Nurkic’s buyout without it counting against team salary, so I’m guessing something got lost in translation there. But I believe the gist of the report.Nurkic gives Denver a third center behind JaVale McGee and Timofey Mozgov. If he supplants those two in the rotation, all the better. His upside is impressive, but it’s likely he doesn’t contribute much immediately.I’m not sure whether the Nuggets want Nurkic on their payroll this season, but at least he won’t cut into their cap space – they wouldn’t have any, anyway – and they can develop him in-house.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 11
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 31
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21