Gerald Wallace: LeBron James ‘not willing to take over a game’

Jul 10, 2014, 10:47 PM EST

Boston Celtics v Miami Heat Getty Images

Gerald Wallace, despite not joining the Celtics until Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce were exiting, is keeping the Boston-LeBron James rivalry alive.

I don’t know where LeBron will play next season, but I’m really looking forward to his team playing the Celtics. LeBron is usually good about publicly minimizing these comments, but I have to believe this will give him a little extra motivation against Wallace.

Wallace on Fox 6 (hat tip: Jimmy Toscano of CSN Northeast)

Jordan, he never had an off night. He found many ways to contribute to the team, and I’d say Kobe is pretty much the same. You can put Lebron in that category. I think what separates LeBron from Kobe and Michael Jordan right now is that he doesn’t have the attitude or the fight that those guys had. For me, he’s not willing to take over a game, demand a game or just put the game all on his shoulders. I would like to see him get to that one day, but right now, I don’t think he has that. And that’s what Michael Jordan and even Kobe has.

I grew up in the ’90s. I grew up in the Jordan era. I’m a Jordan baby, and to me, he will always be the greatest player that I’ve ever seen play. I had an opportunity to play against him at the end of his career, which wasn’t the same, but I’ve even played against him in practice and had an opportunity to talk to him. But watching him on TV growing up, he’s the greatest player I’ve ever seen.

Wallace is wrong.

I’m not going to waste a lot of time persuading people who still believes LeBron shrinks from the moment, because it’s clearly a battle against stubborn foolishness. But I will leave a few videos as film study for Wallace or anyone else actually interested in getting wise:

1. skins26portis - Jul 11, 2014 at 1:50 AM

Kobe signature game came against the Raptors in a meaningless regular season game when he put up 81 on a garbage team. That same year that got put out in the 1st rd by the Suns. Kobe was crying all off season that he wanted out of LA cause he could not win with that team. Do you Kobe fans remember that off season when Kobe wanted to leave LA until they made the trade for Pau Gasol for Kuame Brown. Kobe wanted to be the man and when he was the solo guy he could not get it done. Don’t ever compare Kobe to MJ you fools.

• 5xchamp24 - Jul 11, 2014 at 2:41 AM

Shutty

• undagroundnbablogspot - Jul 11, 2014 at 3:07 AM

I used to feel the same way, that Kobe had more help than MJ and blazi-blah, but if you look at some of Kobe’s old games – and I specifically mean playoff games – you’ll see that he was indeed unstoppable. Of course it helped having people like Shaq on your team to distract defenses, but when Shaq was on the bench it was Kobe who took over, and some games couldn’t be won on the inside which is when it went outside and Kobe won the game. Kobe came into the league straight out of high school with much hype and wasn’t even the first pick in his draft, and he deserves respect for actually living up to and I would say even exceeding those expectations as since the 90s we have seen a considerable number of number-one picks who didn’t live up to the standing.

2. money2long - Jul 11, 2014 at 1:54 AM

In the end people will see the light. Kobe >lebron. That’s all I’ll say.

• 6thsense10 - Jul 11, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Ummm no. Lebron > Kobe and frankly it’s not even close. On just about every individual statistic Lebron measures better than Kobe and has always been the best player on his teams.

• money2long - Jul 11, 2014 at 11:33 AM

U said not close. U don’t know basketball

3. ranfan12 - Jul 11, 2014 at 3:34 AM

what he’s saying is that lebron should be scoring 40+ habitually to win games when his teammates are being sorry

4. bronx77 - Jul 11, 2014 at 4:00 AM

I agree that Lebron could score more. I think he could put up 40 a night with ease. But I think Lebron knows that his team won’t win anything if he does that. The beauty of his game is he makes his teammates better. Lebron and mj are nothing alike. Besides being the top dog in the game during their careers the two have very different games. Lebron is a point guard trapped in a forwards body. Mj was the most dominant scorer in the world. Right now Lebron is the most dominant Basketball player. I still would take MJ over Lebron but it’s not like they are that similar. Both where lockdown defenders. Lebron shares the ball more.

• sportsfan18 - Jul 11, 2014 at 9:26 AM

remember the stats when Kobe scored 30 or more points and the team LOST an overwhelming amount of those games?

when he scored LESS than 30, the team WON a lot more of their games.

but, this is complicated. LBJ would help them more by scoring 40 as he is way more efficient than Kobe.

These stats will be from the early part of the 12/13 Laker season.

“Kobe has a lower career true shooting % than Gasol, Howard and Nash (ranked 17,3 and 2 respectively). Despite this he takes more than 1/4 of the shots. Commentators usually praise top scorers no matter what, but recently they have started looking at data and noticed that the Lakers are 6-22 when Kobe has more than 19 field goal attempts and 12-3 in the rest of the games.”

The point is that an inefficient volume shooter shouldn’t be taking so many shots, especially when there are SEVERAL other options on that players team who shoot much better.

But, LBJ is very efficient scoring the ball. LBJ would get 40 much more efficiently than Kobe therefore it would help the team more.

5. titansbro - Jul 11, 2014 at 5:34 AM

MJ>LeBron=Kobe

Once MJ really figured it all out, he was unbeatable. Unbeatable. Everyone knows if he didn’t try to play baseball they would’ve won 8 straight. But they had to settle for 6 with 2 3-peats.

6. loungefly74 - Jul 11, 2014 at 8:23 AM

judging players’ performances in individual games is very dicey, biased, etc…what really counts is the players contributions, stuff on the stat sheet and just as important, the things that don’t appear on the stat sheet…that ultimately lead to a victory (not a loss). MJ’s 6-0 in the finals (in the modern era, sorry Boston, the 60’s don’t count) is pretty much the gold standard of success. Kobe’s 5-2 record is not too shabby. Of course, no one wins by themselves…Kobe needed Shaq, MJ needed Pip, and vice versa. also, role players (Horry, Fish, etc…) while valuable…are role players so their input is limited. That said, all that matters if that player had a meaningful hand in that team’s success.

7. daburgh1985 - Jul 11, 2014 at 10:49 AM

It’s funny how every1 hates Kobe….I seriously believe it has nothing to do w/him on he court…he’s arrogant and doesn’t care if ppl picture him as the villain…I’m a lakers fan and believe MJ, LeBron and Kobe are always mentioned in the same breath for a reason..their all great….

MJ and LeBron (outside of The Decision) have always come across as good character guys, humble and irregularly tamper w/egotistical endeavors…Kobe on the other hand is ostracized because he prefers to be arrogant, play the villain and be controversial…

They all work very hard and are mentioned as the best players of all time during their prime (LBJ still in his prime)…But the negligence of hate towards Kobe is definitely based off the court…

• tietcanhvit - Jul 11, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Daburgh

Nicely written…

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches